Raw Materials: Females Explained

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Raw Materials: Females Explained

• Repugnant, misogynic, guano, and churlish.

• Yes, you're probably right, Carolyn. I can see how it looks that way. Sorry. The way this happened was that I had a different cartoon in mind about male obtuseness, but was being urged by an editor to poke fun at IT jargon. I grafted the two together, probably an act of laziness on my part, and this is the result.

By the way, I thought the point of the cartoon wasn't to provide an "explanation of females" at all, but to show how people take gibberish as explanatory. And Peter, the mop-headed character is supposed to be churlish, manipulative, and no respecter of people, regardless of chromosome complement. Stick with the strip a bit and you'll see what I mean!

--the cartoonist

• Carolyn Sellers (4/2/2009)

Repugnant, misogynic, guano, and churlish.

Sense of humour, anyone?

• If it was only so easy

The more you are prepared, the less you need it.

• Ha..... so rightly said.....

• Yeah, the thing is, IT tends to be a little male dominated, and so it's really incumbent on websites like SSC to make sure that that doesn't translate into actively excluding women. In general I've got the impression they do that pretty well, but this comic really, really counteracts that, and I'm very disappointed that it made it past editorial. It's not just weak, it's actively unhelpful to us as a community.

• Is in poor taste - unless you have the male counterpart?

• Nice explanation by Larry from when this cartoon first ran. Take it with a grain of salt and some humor as poking fun at IT jargon and the character just being a bit crass and dimwitted.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• gonickl (4/2/2009)

Yes, you're probably right, Carolyn. I can see how it looks that way. Sorry. The way this happened was that I had a different cartoon in mind about male obtuseness, but was being urged by an editor to poke fun at IT jargon. I grafted the two together, probably an act of laziness on my part, and this is the result.

By the way, I thought the point of the cartoon wasn't to provide an "explanation of females" at all, but to show how people take gibberish as explanatory. And Peter, the mop-headed character is supposed to be churlish, manipulative, and no respecter of people, regardless of chromosome complement. Stick with the strip a bit and you'll see what I mean!

--the cartoonist

I read this and I said to myself "has someone just strung together jargon to look clever?"..:unsure: - then I read this explanation and it all made sense - it reads exactly as you intended and there's no need to offer any apologies.

Please register me as the first female response to this cartoon as one who doesn't take everything with the word "female" in it personally!:-)

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Count me as another female who did not think it was anti-female.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply