Raid SSD

• Hello, i have a doubt.
    What is the best configuration for a raid with ssd?
    My doubt is about the throughput.
    Thanks.

• Have you looked at this article SQL Server Storage Best Practices?
    😎

• msimone - Monday, February 27, 2017 2:46 AM

Hello, i have a doubt.
    What is the best configuration for a raid with ssd?
    My doubt is about the throughput.
    Thanks.

You are presumably moving from rotating rust storage to SSDs, and you are worried that the RAID type will make things not be game changing? You are clearly not familiar with the performance differences between the two. 🙂

Your world will be rocked when you change to SSDs for SQL Server storage. I note that things can get BAD doing so though. Deadlocks can become a SERIOUS problem if your app is set up for them. I have seen it so bad that the application had to be rolled back onto slower storage until the deadlock issues could be mitigated.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Hello, thanks for yours answers.
    SQLGuru, i am not worried, my doubt is between raid5 or 6 and raid10 for user data, mainly throughput. I think that with .ldf and tempdb i don't have problem.
    I read somethings (Diff-Raid for example) and i would like to know the opinión in the forum about that.
    Thanks for all.
  • msimone - Monday, February 27, 2017 8:24 AM

Hello, thanks for yours answers.
    SQLGuru, i am not worried, my doubt is between raid5 or 6 and raid10 for user data, mainly throughput. I think that with .ldf and tempdb i don't have problem.
    I read somethings (Diff-Raid for example) and i would like to know the opinión in the forum about that.
    Thanks for all.

1) Any RAID that requires a parity will ALWAYS be slower than the same set of disks in the same configuration without the parity. 

2) Unless you have an exceptional rotating disk system SSD will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster in any configuration. Unless you are like a number of clients I have come across and you are bottlenecked on the path between the disks and RAM.

3) Very few clients have gotten the full benefit of their SSD implementations because their code/database is so bad it cannot work at SSD speed. Or they are poorly virtualized and RAM/CPU is hosed on the SQL Server instance. Or ...

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply