QuickBooks to SQL Server

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, April 1, 2018 8:45 AM

He he, funny seeing this popping up on the latest entries, only a 12 year old thingy, MDM would classify this as a "blast from the past"
    😎

This just brings back to mind the time when I posted somewhere in one of this site's forums, a question to see if anyone had ever figured out how to connect a Quicken database to SQL Server, and then on another occasion, if anyone had written something to process a QFX file.   Still curious, as it appears Quicken has departed the scene in terms of writing a desktop application that leaves your data on your computer, and appears to be going in the direction of holding that data in their cloud.   I'll be darned if I'm ever going to let them have that much of my data.   Their Quicken Bill Pay service is already $10 a month, and paying on top of that for the desktop app is already ridiculous, and with their 2018 version, they now want $59/year to boot.  It's really only a matter of time before I'll just have to buckle down and figure that all out, 'cause I'm not willing to place my financial data in their cloud any more than what they've already got.   Anyone ever figure out how to read the Quicken database file, or how to process a QFX file into a SQL Server table?

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• sgmunson - Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:40 PM

This just brings back to mind the time when I posted somewhere in one of this site's forums, a question to see if anyone had ever figured out how to connect a Quicken database to SQL Server, and then on another occasion, if anyone had written something to process a QFX file.   Still curious, as it appears Quicken has departed the scene in terms of writing a desktop application that leaves your data on your computer, and appears to be going in the direction of holding that data in their cloud.   I'll be darned if I'm ever going to let them have that much of my data.   Their Quicken Bill Pay service is already $10 a month, and paying on top of that for the desktop app is already ridiculous, and with their 2018 version, they now want $59/year to boot.  It's really only a matter of time before I'll just have to buckle down and figure that all out, 'cause I'm not willing to place my financial data in their cloud any more than what they've already got.   Anyone ever figure out how to read the Quicken database file, or how to process a QFX file into a SQL Server table?

This post?:
    https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost626377.aspx

🙂
    I had to do it I don't know how many years ago. Whatever it was I used was for opening the file in Excel as that was/is the way most utilities I found worked.
    I just tried to find what I used - no luck but found your post. There are still various options with Excel so you may want to try going that way., then Excel to SQL Server.  This one I was curious about - he lists the manual steps in the article and has a utility as well. Free is often worth checking:
    Import Quicken QFX files into Excel

Sue

• QFX files come from online banking - Quicken does not create QFX files or export in the QFX format. Quicken for Windows exports QIF format, and you can use QIF2CSV converter to convert QIF files to CSV or Excel format.

Sergiy Tytarenko
    Software developer
    ProperSoft - simple software for accountants and bookkeepers
    https://www.propersoft.net/

• Follow the steps below to create a linked server from the Object Explorer.

Step 1: Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to an instance of SQL Server.

Step 2: In the Object Explorer, expand the node for the SQL Server database. In the Server Objects node, right-click Linked Servers and click New Linked Server. The New Linked Server dialog is displayed.

Step 3: In the General section, click the Other Data Source option and enter the following information after naming the linked server:

• Provider: Select the SQL Server Native Client Provider that corresponds to your version of SQL Server. For example, SQL Server Native Client 11.0.
    • Data Source: Enter the host and port the TDS remoting service is running on, separated by a comma. Note that a value of "localhost" in this input refers to the machine where SQL Server is running so be careful when creating a linked server in Management Studio when not running on the same machine as SQL Server.
    • Catalog: Enter the CData system DSN, CData QuickBooks Sys.

Step 4: In the Security section, select the option to have the connection "made using this security context" and enter the username and password of a user you created in the Users tab of the SQL Gateway.

This May Help,

Peter

• You can follow the steps to create a linked server for QuickBooks in SQL Server Management Studio by using Object Explorer:

1. Start your Management Studio and choose your SQL Server instance.
    2. In the Object Explorer pane, expand the Server Objects, right-click on Linked Servers and then click on New Linked Server.
    3. Configure your linked server in the dialog box:
    4. Give a name for your server in the Linked server field.
    5. Under Server type, select Other data source .
    6. Choose Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers in the Provider drop-down list.
    7. In the Data source field, enter the name of your DSN, e.g. Devart ODBC Driver for QuickBooks . Alternatively, you can input the ODBC Driver connection string in the Provider field.
    8. The linked server will appear under the Linked Servers in the Object Explorer Pane. You can now issue distributed queries and access QuickBooks databases through SQL Server.

Retrieving Data From QuickBooks

Disable the Allow inprocess option of MSDASQL OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers. For this, find the MSDASQL provider in the list of Linked Servers and double-click on it

1. In the appeared Provider Options window, clear the Allow inprocess checkbox:
    2. Create a new Linked Server
    3. Make sure to select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers and specify the following parameters:
    4. The QuickBooks tables are already available to be fetched. To query the linked server, click New Query in the toolbar:
    5. Enter your SQL query in the editor window and click Execute to run the query:
    6. As a result, you can see the contents of the selected table retrieved directly from the QuickBooks account you are connected to.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

tomc 99431 wrote:

Synergration offers a product that replicates QuickBooks to a SQL Server database. There web site is http://www.synergration.com Pizza Tower

Enjoy hours of fun

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply