Question of the Day (QOD)

• Hi Brian,

quote:

You're not missing it, I haven't finished development of it. Should be ready today or more likely tomorrow though! Was trying to get a good set of scores before developing it.

I don't want to put you under pressure

Cheers,

Frank

--
    Frank Kalis
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Webmaster: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs
    My blog: http://www.insidesql.org/blogs/frankkalis/[/url]

• I have the same problem as described by Phillip Kelly.

I chose (for the clustering question) the correct answer in MS Outlook which took me to a webpage saying that it was my last chance to correct my choice... So I figured I must've been wrong and chose a different response, only to be told that i was initially correct (but get no points) 🙁

Not fair 🙂

What'd be really cool (after a month or so) is to have the leading point scorers of the month displayed at the top of the daily email. To make it more difficult (and to separate the scores a bit), maybe double-points if you answer it correctly the first time? Of course, that email bug has to be fixed first 🙂

My 2c,

Ian

• quote:

If bulk-logged is the largest, can you please explain the following.

When I had full set on my user databases the log backups were so big that I was running out of disk space on a brand new server. When I changed them to bulk-logged they dropped to a manageable size. I can now keep 4 full days where before I couldn't even get two on there.

K

I agree ... the "correct" answer does not agree with my experience either, and doesn't seem to agree with the documentation.

Bulk-logged mode assumes that SELECT INTO and bulk copy operations can be "replayed" and so are "not fully logged" ...

Your "correct" answer implies that the logging of the extents would take more space in the backup than the inserted data.

How can the transaction log backup be larger in bulk-logged mode if the tran-log just contains the extents that were modified and not the data? If I BCP in 100,000,000 new rows into a table that fully qualifies for "minimally logged" operation, the tran log AND it's backup will contain less data than if I insert the 100,000,000 rows in "full" backup mode, won't it? What am I missing?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply