"Question of the Day" is about:

• My comments are not intended to offend the author or the forum editor(s), but a clarification of my understanding of the purpose of the QOD.

• Richard Warr (7/27/2012)

By not choosing the option which said

This is an easy and quick way to earn points and get recognized on a widely known forum.

I earned points quickly and easily and got recognition on a widely known forum. 😉

For me it was a toss up between this and learn new things (option 5) ... fortunately I chose the last option.

Woohoo 5pts!! 😛

• Toreador (7/27/2012)

A contender for the worst QotD ever 😉

Did you already forget about the indexes question from last week? There have been plenty others that are far worse than this one.

This one was a bit silly but not a bad reminder for some people who been getting pretty tense around the QOTD lately.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• If the QotD was mandated by law or our employers then this question could have ONE correct answer. Because it is a tool that can be used if desired and for whatever reason then a question like this can't have a correct answer (especially when the "correct" answer in this case is wrong). Put a sixth answer choice on this question that states "The QotD makes my coffee taste better." Someone could pick that and nobody else could say it was not right.

• It apparently was a good QotD: it generated lots of good discussion. 😉

Thanks!

• Sr SQL developer (7/27/2012)

My comments are not intended to offend the author or the forum editor(s), but a clarification of my understanding of the purpose of the QOD.

FWIW, I, and probably most others, don't think you are trying to offend anyone. We can usually tell when someone is purposely trying to be an ***. You're not close.

One earlier poster (you? - I don't have the page up) noted that the questions run the gamut. Of course the comments do, too. I've seen some interesting rhetoric regarding holiday QOTD's, usually because the holiday questions reflect American or Christian holidays. We've also seen some pretty inflamed comments when an answer is obviously wrong. (Is that 1 stinking point really that important?).

I read Steve's article that was linked to by bitbucket earlier. I can see why sometimes he has dreaded making sure a QOTD was ready when he didn't have a user submission. Sometimes you need a thick skin around here.

But my inbox keeps lighting up with new comments on this topic. So it's nice to see people involve themselves.

• Sean Lange

This one was a bit silly but not a bad reminder for some people who been getting pretty tense around the QOTD lately.

+ 1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Apparently I took the pessimistic view since I have done plenty of reading for some QOTDs and still missed them! Oh well. 🙂

• I started to go for the "correct" answer then read the part about never being wrong and KNEW that wasn't the answer. So many times there have been mistakes, or the QotD is a gimmick question that exploits some undocumented part of SQL server. Sometimes I love being wrong just so I learn something interesting.

Too bad, so close to a good QotD.

• Revenant (7/27/2012)

It apparently was a good QotD: it generated lots of good discussion. 😉

Thanks!

+1

• Is this question relevant to SQL 2012 or also SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2005 as well? I couldn't find the related version info on BOL.

Just kidding folks. And thanks so much for maintaining this site. I've learned so much here.

• Andre Ranieri (7/27/2012)

Is this question relevant to SQL 2012 or also SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2005 as well? I couldn't find the related version info on BOL.

Just kidding folks. And thanks so much for maintaining this site. I've learned so much here.

Is this going to be on the exam? 😀

• Andre Ranieri (7/27/2012)

Is this question relevant to SQL 2012 or also SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2005 as well? I couldn't find the related version info on BOL.

Thanks for that! It made me belly laugh.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that this QoD is about the right reason (instead the right answer), of "why I participate in the QoD?", and make us think about what kind of person we are.

Certainly everbody can have different reasons to do it, and each one is perfectly valid (even "To increase my selfsteem", for example). But those who answer the QoD because "This is an easy and quick way to earn points and get recognized on a widely known forum" perhaps should have to review and change their concept of "community" and the meaning of "belong to".

As always, this is just mi humble opinion :hehe:

• SQLDBA360 (7/27/2012)

If you didn't get the question correct simply post 5 comments in the discussion 🙂

😛

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply