Question about SQL2012 availability groups & security

• How should application/users security be set up? If server #1 fails, availability group #1 fails over to server #2 but the security does not, so applications fail. I have duplicated all users to server #2 (from server #1) but the apps/users' mappings are not there and cannot be created...

Thanks

• Zubius (4/1/2014)

How should application/users security be set up? If server #1 fails, availability group #1 fails over to server #2 but the security does not, so applications fail. I have duplicated all users to server #2 (from server #1) but the apps/users' mappings are not there and cannot be created...

Thanks

Just like Log Shipping and Database Mirroring, for SQL Server authentication accounts you'll need to synchronise these between the replicas.

This includes preserving the account SIDs to avoid orphaned users. Plenty of scripts available to help with this, here's a basic to get you going

SELECT'CREATE LOGIN [' + name + '] WITH PASSWORD = ' +

sys.fn_varbintohexstr(password_hash) +

' HASHED, SID = ' + sys.fn_varbintohexstr(sid) +

', DEFAULT_DATABASE = ' + QUOTENAME(default_database_name) +

', DEFAULT_LANGUAGE = ' + default_language_name +

', CHECK_EXPIRATION = ' +

CASE

WHEN is_expiration_checked = 0 THEN 'OFF'

ELSE 'ON'

END +

', CHECK_POLICY = ' +

CASE

WHEN is_policy_checked = 0 THEN 'OFF'

ELSE 'ON'

END +

CASE is_disabled

WHEN 0 THEN ''

ELSE '; ALTER LOGIN [' + name + '][ DISABLE;'

END

FROM master.sys.sql_logins

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry is spot-on as usual. You will need to pick a "master" sql instance and then script out the logins with the SID and then replace all existing instances with the new login (drop/create). Once that is done the database will be accessible by those logins because the SIDs are the same all around. Easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy ... once you know the trick!! 😎

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• And as part of your AO group deployment you've already identified a preferred Primary 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thank You both for the prompt replies. I was struggling with this for some time. I'll run a few tests during our next maintenance window and post back If I have any issues.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply