Question about administration of your databases on Azure

• Hi,

My company I thinking of moving their databases to Azure. I am the database admin for them. I am not familiar with Azure as I never ran databases on there before. Here I can do all kinds of analysis to insure they are running properly, through things like DMVs, scripts, Profiler, activity monitor, just to name some of the things that I can do. Add change things like indexing full backup configuration, add and change security. 
    Is there anything different, or limitations that I might have if our databases are up there.
    Lastly, is it slower for people/ application to access it there than on a local server.

Thank you

• It completely depends on what we're talking about when we say "Azure". So, if by Azure you mean Virtual Machines managed on Azure, it's just SQL Server instances and everything is pretty much exactly the same as if it was a local VM or server. The only real differences are that the CPU, Memory and Disk are virtualized, so those measures aren't the same. There are Azure counters for those specifically within VMs.

If by Azure you mean Azure SQL Database, then there are quite a few differences. Most of the DMVs work exactly the same. However, things like Profiler are not supported at all. You can use Extended Events instead of Profiler (in fact, you should be doing this anyway). Maintenance changes. You can't do backups or integrity checks because Microsoft is doing it all for you. You have to do statistics maintenance and, if you do, index maintenance, yourself. For the most part, it's just SQL Server, but know that it's a platform as a service focused on the database does let you know what's not there, pretty much anything related to the server. So, no Agent, but there is Azure scheduling.

If by Azure you mean Managed Instances, there are some differences, but not as many. Again, it's focused on server and OS level stuff that's going to be different or missing, not so much the things that are withing a SQL Server instance.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply