Query regarding Look Up Transformation-Look up transformation fetching multiple matched records from ther reference table

• Look up transformation fetching multiple matched records.More information as below

1. Input data comes from a table called Contact(ContactID is unique in this table) and this data is cached using cache transform

CREATE TABLE Contact

(

FirstName NVARCHAR(255),

MiddleName NVARCHAR(255),

LastName NVARCHAR(255),

ContactId INT

)

2. Reference data comes from table called Sales(ContactId is comes more than one times or we can say between Contact table and Sales table there is one to many relationship) table structure as below

CREATE TABLE Sales

(

ContactID INT,

TotalDue MONEY

)

3.In Sales table there are duplicate rows for Contactid 1

1 5370.284

1 5370.284

1 5370.284

1 5370.284

1 5370.284

1 5370.284

1 5370.284

when i create package using look transformation

in Look Up Matched Output pulls all the rows

(duplicate) for ContactID 1from Sales table.As per definition 'If there are multiple matches in the reference table, the Lookup transformation returns only the first match returned by the look up query.'

What could be the issue

• Shouldn't it be the other way around? Sales is the input data and Contact is the reference table?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• No then you will have unique rows for each look up id or Contactid

• Smash125 (8/13/2012)

No then you will have unique rows for each look up id or Contactid

Isn't the whole point of a reference table that it's IDs are unique, so that you can lookup reference values belonging to a particular ID in the input stream?

I don't understand why you'd use the sales table as the lookup table, as it's the Contact table that holds all the information about contacts.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• You are right koen.Initially i got it entirely wrong about my understanding about look up transformation. What i was trying to do

Sales Table as input table and Contact table as reference table. obviously it is going to pull duplicate rows since there is Many - One relationship.It has to be other way as you suggested earlier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply