Query in SSRS report, double hop to linked server

• I have 3 (old) existing SSRS reports that were developed and deployed on Server A. They each use the same 2 shared Data Sources (RD and DR). 1 of the Data Sources(DR) is a linked server, Server B. The reports  have  queries against the same  datasets.  2   of the datasets   use the shared Data Source, DR. These 2 datasets  query a view that is built on Server B  from a database/tables on  another linked server (Server C).  This is the double hop I refer to.  From Server A to Server B to Server C.

Server C was changed (from C to C2) and since then, the reports have failed when executed via SQL Server Agent and the queries fail when executed from within Visual Studio with a Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON' error.

I can execute the queries from Server B in SSMS.

I will note here that we do not have a DBA, I am the SQL programmer and I have a colleague that is responsible for infrastructure and all things related to credentials and security. He has examined and compared both Server C and Server C2 and the same logins/users/etc appear to be set up in both places.

Server A has Sql Server 2008r2, Server B has SQL Server 2016.

What should I/we look at to resolve the issue. TIA

• You need to ensure all the kerberos pieces have been put back in place for C2.  Ensure your using a domain account for the SQL service.  Ensure the SPN's for the account and MSSQLServer are all registered.  Ensure the account is trusted for delegation. Etc.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/register-a-service-principal-name-for-kerberos-connections?view=sql-server-ver15

• As it turns out, the old linked server had 'Be made using this security context' set within Properties>Security and the new one did not. That has been addressed and now everything is working as it should.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply