Query Date Help

• Hi, I have a query that is looking at the current Month. My issue is that there is a gap if it's the 1st of the Month.
    I'd like to add a condition that will tell the query to include the prior day but, only if it's the first of the month.
    Here is my current where clause that I use to look at the current MTD.
    AND dbo.manifests.manifest_date >= DATEADD(MONTH,
                     DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0,
                        CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),
                     0)

Thanks so much

• AND dbo.manifests.manifest_date >= DATEADD(DAY,CASE WHEN DAY(manifest_date)=1 THEN -1 ELSE 0 END, DATEADD(MONTH,
          DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0,
           CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),
          0)

You can also use the SIGN function instead of the CASE expression if you prefer.

John

• Thanks so much John..
    I made a minor change but wnat to be 100% confident. Can you take a look?

Original
    AND dbo.manifests.manifest_date >= DATEADD(DAY,CASE WHEN DAY(manifest_date)=1 THEN -1 ELSE 0 END, DATEADD(MONTH,
       DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0,
       CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),
       0)

Minor Change..ManifestDate to Getdate()
    AND dbo.manifests.manifest_date >= DATEADD(DAY,CASE WHEN DAY(GETDATE())=1 THEN -1 ELSE 0 END, DATEADD(MONTH,
       DATEDIFF(MONTH, 0,
       CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),
       0)

• Ah yes, I should have spotted that - you're basing it on the current date, not on any value in the column.  Yes, that should work.  My only advice would be to be consistent in your use of GETDATE() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.  Choose one and stick with it.

John

• John Mitchell-245523 - Friday, June 2, 2017 7:35 AM

Ah yes, I should have spotted that - you're basing it on the current date, not on any value in the column.  Yes, that should work.  My only advice would be to be consistent in your use of GETDATE() or CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.  Choose one and stick with it.

John

Thanks so much! Have a great weekend

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply