Purchased software cannot connect to sql server

• HI. We have a software package that was running on the same box that the sql server was installed. this box was also the webserver for this application and runs on Apache and not IIS. Well we recently moved the database to another sql server box for storage reasons. Now the users are getting messages saying: DB Error: connect failed. Actually I have been informed they were getting this message when the sql server database resided on that box only now they are getting it more often. Anyway, I have looked at my sql error logs and the event viewer on my server and no messages. If they wait a while, then the have no problems connecting. The vendor recycled the Apache service and then they can work again. But everyone seems to be pointing the finger at sql server since that is what changed. My question is, where, if possible can I look on my sql server to see if connections are failing on the sql side?

Thanks so VERY MUCH !

Juanita

• much more likely to be a DNS issue i would think; since it appears to happen once in a while, and not 100% of the time, I'd venture the guess that the connection string pointsd to SERVERNAMe or SERVERNAME.DOMAIN.COM, and once in a while that can't be found.

connecting by IP address is an option, but I'd throw this at the network guys and have them check that all the DNS entries are correct.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• HI. Well actually the software does not have any type of odbc connection set up in the control panel. it is done though a dbconn.php file for apache. I wondered about that.

Juanita

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply