production web application performance degradation due to database issues

• I am using sql server 2005.My application runs very slow since past few weeks.

It was running good before that .We havent made any code changes but the performance is going down.Its very slow.

I am not sure whether it is because of some database issue.How can I come to know if there is any performance related stuff with sql server 2005.

I have just 2 gb of space left on my Production Web server hard drive.Could that be the issue or some other network issue between the Web server and the database server.

Please help.

Thansk,

• Probably the usual suspects - inefficient code and poor indexing combined with increasing amounts of data. The lack of space is a concern, you don't want to run the DB out of space, so getting more disk space is almost certainly a priority.

For targeting the worst performing queries so that you can get the most improvement from a little work see:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks a lot for reply.

My Web application is deployed on a web server A and database is on a Database Server B.

I am running out of space on Server A .I did work on indexes 2 months ago and the performance improved after that but since 3 weeks ,the performance of the website is very slow as a whole ,its not just a few pages but for every page I connect to the database.

I doubt this to be more related to a networks problem or the less disk space than My Java code or database code to be the issue

Any suggestions ?

• Start with what Gail suggested. Also, do you perform any scheduled database maintenance, such as defraging indexes, updating statitistics?

• Do you have a DBA on the organization?

- In the affirmative case, what she/he say about it?

- In the negative case, who designed the database?

Identify the three queries that cause the most pain... check execution plans looking for table scans, if these table scans are hitting tables that are growing... bingo! As Gail said, poor database design is the reason of poor perfomance.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply