Processor Queue

• I have been monitoring Physical Disk/Disk Queue Length and System/Processor Queue Length (PQL). Reading the description of PQL it says a sustained queue of over 2 should be addressed. Ours sits anywhere from 4-7 sometimes as high as 15. SQL Server is quites speedy on this box, it is the only use of this server. I have received no complaints from users.

Is the suggested number of 2 by Windows really accurate if the box is running SQL Server?

Ross

• How many processors? It's 2 x # of CPUs. And it can depend. It you have very short queries, but lots of them, then you may not notice issues, but you could potentially benefit from more CPUs. If you have longer queries, this usually confirms that more CPUs can help you.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

• Make sure you acount for all the disk drives. The formula would be: counter / (drive count) < 2. if > 2 for > 10 min then there may be a I/O bottleneck.

• quote:

How many processors? It's 2 x # of CPUs. And it can depend. It you have very short queries, but lots of them, then you may not notice issues, but you could potentially benefit from more CPUs. If you have longer queries, this usually confirms that more CPUs can help you.

It is one processor. I would say about 99% of queries are quite short. We have an occasional query that can be lengthy.

If we upgrade would it be better to go with a higher processor or more processor? Currently a 1gb processor with 1.1 gb of ram. We don't really want to go with a second processor becuase we purchased the Processor license for SQL which means buying a second license SQL. If a faster processor will work we would rather do that.

Thanks,

Ross

• quote:

Make sure you acount for all the disk drives.

The physical disk counter is well within a respectable range. I am more concerned with the processor queue causing a bottleneck.

Ross

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply