Problem Exporting Union Query

• I have written this UNION query below and it is running without any errors. The problem I'm running into is when I try to export this to a .CSV file. I get the following error:

"The number of columns in the two selected tables or queries of a union query do not match"

Has anyone ever run into this before?

SELECT 'N','08/21/08' as Update_Date,'08/21/08' as Create_Date,'Company1' as Catalog_Name, Left([Prod Cat],1) as Node, [LEVEL 1] as ctgname, 1 as seq, 'Company1' as ctgparentlvl1

FROM [eStorefront Master]

UNION

SELECT 'N','08/21/08','08/21/08','Company1', Left([Prod Cat],2), [Level 2], 2, Left([Prod Cat], 1)

UNION

SELECT 'N','08/21/08','08/21/08','Company1', [Prod Cat], [Level 3], 3, Left([Prod Cat], 2)

ORDER BY seq, ctgparentlvl1, ctgname;

• Whoops hang on a mo....

• Thanks for the reply but there are actually 8 lines in that second select statement.

The problem was occurring because I originally did have mismatched numbers of columns. I fixed this but didn't save it. So it would run but not export without me saving the query.

:rolleyes:

• Sorry i thought i had it for a moment.. I have tested this on my machine without a problem 😕

I can think of two possible work arounds -bearing in mind i can't reproduce the problem so i can test these ideas - that might help.

1. Save this query and use it as the source of a second select query and export from that.

2. Save this query and use it as a source for a make-table query or append query, export from the table.

I'll keep looking in the mean time.

K.

• smick (8/21/2008)

Thanks for the reply but there are actually 8 lines in that second select statement.

The problem was occurring because I originally did have mismatched numbers of columns. I fixed this but didn't save it. So it would run but not export without me saving the query.

:rolleyes:

Yep noticed a "hidden" 2 hence the apology 🙂

• The 2nd and 3rd select statement omit "ctgparentlvl1". If you add that or a null, the error should be resolved.

• This issue is solved, I just had to save the query with the changes I made before attempting to export.

Apparently you can run a query after fixing errors without saving but not export without saving your corrections.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply