Prevent shrink for specific data files

• gotta disagree with frederico on this one... if the software is licenced to the client and the client owns the server then they can do what the heck they want (even if it's stupid)

out of interest - why empty out the entire database and then refill and process lots?

can you not pre-process on another device and then do a backup/restore operation??

MVDBA

• I work in data migration. Client is a large financial entity who is moving an acquired portfolio into their own systems. We load the source data (source system is still operational and so source data is subject to change over time) and process the data in multiple steps into the new model (which is also in the process of redevelopment in order to allow the new products associated with the acquired portfolio). During the day we build the software to accomplish this, and every night we rerun the process. These are just trials. We do it this way to replicate the final migration. During final migration all data (which is as up-to-date as possible) is loaded and run through our software to deliver the same data to the other system. During most projects our runs last upto 4 hours, so nightly runs are perfectly acceptable. It is a well tested process. I don't want to brag, but we have a 100% success rate and leave our clients extremely satisfied (and their money traceable and accountable).

With regard to the policy; yes client can do in their own network what they want. But these policies come from way higher up, and I don't know the reasoning behind it. Considering the sensitivity of the data and laws involved, I'm not certain it's as unreasonable as it seems. Frankly, it's none of my business, as I cant do anything about it anyway. The people and the network I work with are outside the main network, and so we have a bit of independence.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply