Potential presentation idea: The role of documentation in disaster recovery

• crmitchell (4/14/2016)

Ray K (3/11/2016)

I'll also mention that all of our documentation was in hardcopy format and stored as Word/Visio/PDF files. (At the time, online documentation was still a foreign concept.) Also, our documentation was not at the disaster site, and multiple (internal) personnel had access to it.

I'd definitely favour keeping it as hardcopy. If you are in a DR situation there is no guarantee you will be able to access any online copy.

I came across such a case in a DR exercise I was involved in at a previous company. The documentation was stored as Word docs unfortunately it included a link to another doc stored on the companies normal servers which could not be accessed from the DR site during the exercise.

I favor both approaches. Hard copy and online. Because if you lose the hard copy between DR exercises / disasters, you can always reprint it. But your hard copy may be (and usually is) the only way to access the DR plan during a disaster. And always have multiple hard copies in multiple locations so that when the building burns down or floods you don't lose the only hard copy you have.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ray K (4/13/2016)

The hits keep on coming! Just got word that I'll be presenting this in Philadelphia as well! C'mon out!

Not surprising. It sounds as though you've got a good story to tell, with a lot of personal experience (quite apart from the emotional overload of 11/9 itself (yes, I'm a Brit - deal with it)). I would be among those jostling for a seat if I were at either of those events!

(And, if you want to submit to the next SQL Saturday in Exeter, I'm sure we would accept!)

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Documentation of the database architecture and processes is especially critical when the disaster your organization is attempting to recover from is the sudden death of the DBA.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• (And, if you want to submit to the next SQL Saturday in Exeter, I'm sure we would accept!)

if it was in Exeter, then I would go as well, never been before ....tis only 50miles away

• J Livingston SQL (4/14/2016)

(And, if you want to submit to the next SQL Saturday in Exeter, I'm sure we would accept!)

if it was in Exeter, then I would go as well, never been before ....tis only 50miles away

Little far for me to go; I'll have to talk my wife into letting me spend the money on a plane ticket! 🙂

Maybe I'll have to check SQL Saturday schedules for next year, and plan a vacation around it!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply