PLEASE help -- Can't connect to report service thru Management Studio

• I'm really at a loss here. I've got Reporting Services working PERFECTLY on 1 machine... NOT AT ALL on another.

I've tried so many different things, I don't even know where to start. Nobody responded to my 9/24 post in this same forum... really hoping that changes today.

attached are shots of what I'm seeing when I try to connect to the Reporting Service from a few different avenues.

Can ANYONE please tell me where to start? ANY ideas? This box needs to go live ASAP, and I've got mud on my face for saying it would be done already.

THANK YOU!

• Greg, it might be helpful if you provided some details into what exactly you are trying to do. You say you have 1 that's working and 1 that isn't. What's the difference between the two? I read your 9/24 post and it was not clear to me what your problem might be. Perhaps you can start over, detail what is happening, the environments and how the SSRS instances are being used. Then proceed with error messages you are receiving. One of your screen shots mentioned that a detail message had been logged in the event viewer. What does it say?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I'll happily provide you with what I can Luke.

In short, I'm trying to serve reports on the web. That's it.

The .rdls already exist and run just fine in the development environment. To get them on the web, I ran the Report Service Configuration routine, and managed to get all "green" lights there, using as many defaults as I could. Both RS databases were created. The Reporting Service is running (using Local System). The Report Server virtual directories show up in IIS (version 7.5.7600).

We're currently hosting a website (successfully) from a non-Default WebSite site. (attachment "iis_tree", the site "test 3" if you're following along in the attachments). The virtual directories are in that same site. My thinking was that we could just go to http://<oursite>/reports(erver) to access that site.

With all this in place, I still get no RS connection love. Not http://<ourserver>/reports, nor ~/reportserver, nor can I connect through SQL Management Studio.

I'll attach a few more screen shots to hopefully shed more light... hopefully these might provide an "a-ha" moment for you.

PLEASE ask me for ANY other information you think might help Luke.

Thanks again.

• What errors are you seeing in your security log, application log, etc?

One of your screenshots in your first posts had an error message that basically said hey, go look at the event log for details on the error. What are those details?

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I think that screen shot you mention was referring to the IIS logs? I'm attaching today's log. Can you see anything that looks out of the ordinary that I should pursue?

I checked the Windows app logs and the security logs and saw nothing but Info entries.

• ok from another thread here talking about issues connecting to SSRS 05 using the 08 tools and other things, try connecting via a hostname or URL not by IP. Also, I would be much more careful about what you post on the web. The log file you uploaded contains ip address information, along with usernames and potentially a variety of other sensitive information you and/or your boss may not want in the public domain depending on how you pass your parameters and such. I'd suggest you take it down ASAP.

The message I was referring to was in your attachment entitled slash_reportserver.png. It states "An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server" When you go to that page, your webserver should log something in the application log about why the request failed.

-Luke.

• Just another avenue, kinda basic but haven't seen anything to the effect that you have done this yet, you might wanna verify - are you sure you dont have a local/network firewall still coming into play here? can you verify connectivity to port 80 through telnet or something similar? I know I have encountered problems connecting to the report server through ssms due to a firewall, perhaps you are seeing something similar.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply