Permissions on nested stored procs

• We have 2 stored procedures A and B and a user is assigned a role which has permission to execute A and not B.

If the code within A executes B and A and B are within the same DB this works fine but if they are not in the same DB

then a lack of permissions on B error is generated. Is there a work around for this situation without granting the role permissions

to execute B explicitly? An example is xp_CmdShell, if you didn't want to grant a user permission to execute it but you do want them to be

able to execute an SP which calls it internally.

Regards,

Andy Jones

andyj93@hotmail.com

• I tried this and the only thing I had to do was set the user account up in public on the database, nothing more. Works fine for me, and when they access the DB directly they get permission denied on SP B in the other DB.

My Ex.

user testMe no password

DB1

TestDB

CREATE PROC ip_A

AS

EXEC TestDB2.dbo.ip_B

GO

Grant execute permission to testMe

----

DB2

TestDB2

CREATE TABLE tblX (

[myint] [int] NOT NULL

)

CREATE PROC ip_B

AS

SELECT * FROM tblX

GO

Set testMe up in default public role

Run testDB.dbo.ip_A

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Thanks for the response. I thought this was how it should work but in the case you outlined below I am still getting permission denied on sp ip_B??? It works if I grant public the permission to execute ip_B but not otherwise, any ideas?

Regards,

Andy Jones

andyj93@hotmail.com

• What version of SQL and ServicePack level on it? I tested on SQL 2000 SP 2. Can you post A and B code, it may be something to do with what you are doing.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Sorry for the delay...It's SQL2K Standard with SP1.

I want a user to be able to execute certain procedures which execute master..xp_CmdShell but not master..xp_CmdShell itself, so I ran

the following.

--Add the login

sp_addlogin 'user1','user1','a','British English'

GO

use a

GO

--Create an sp

create procedure sp_1 as

exec master..xp_cmdshell 'dir c:\'

GO

--Grant user access to DB

sp_grantdbaccess 'user1'

GO

--Add the role

sp_addrole 'role1'

GO

--Add user to the role

sp_addrolemember 'role1', 'user1'

GO

--Grant permissions to the role

grant exec on sp_1 to role1

use master

GO

--Grant user access to DB

sp_grantdbaccess 'user1'

GO

When I run exec sp_1 in database a I get:-

Server: Msg 229, Level 14, State 5, Procedure xp_cmdshell, Line 4

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'xp_cmdshell', database 'master', owner 'dbo'.

Stored Procedure: a.dbo.sp_1

Return Code = 0

Is this issue becuase it's an extended sp? Is there a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Regards,

Andy Jones

andyj93@hotmail.com

• From BOL

quote:

Execute permissions for xp_cmdshell default to members of the sysadmin fixed server role, but can be granted to other users.

You cannot bypass this, you must either grant rights to xp_cmdshell or work around it. One work around is to insert the return from xp_cmdshell into a table and allow the user to select the table. Then you set up a job or process to periodically update that table.

• Antares is correct. When you execute certain stored procedures (system ones) permissions are rechecked for security purposes. I think the solution proposed above is a great one.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply