Performance Question

• I have a DB that is currently at 12.6 GB growing at a rate of ~750mb per week. This is largely due to one table that is used a lot and stores an image for each record. We have one raid controller with 4 36gb drives.

Is there an advantage to separate this one large table to its own file space? Since we only have on RAID controller I don't think there would a performance gain but I wanted to get feedback from others here.

Thanks,

Ross

• I'd only do it if you couldnt get a full backup done within the amount of time you have to get it done. Need to start asking for more space now, once you get past 50% full perf starts to drop off, you have to sweat to have room for backup to disk as well. If the drives are in a cabinet consider just adding more 36g drives, though it may well be just as cheap to buy 72g's. More disks rather than just bigger ones would be the way to go as well.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Thanks Andy.

I think I will start pushing for 72gb drives. I know that next year we are going to budget for a new server and use this one as a backup/archive server. If it will host the archive though we will need lots of space on it, so I might be successful in the attempt to get bigger drives.

Ross

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply