Performance Monitor Benchmarks.

• In recent weeks i have been trying to find out why SQL is running slow. i have Been using Performance monitor to monitor different objects. I have found alot of infomation on what each object is, but due to the server never been monitored for the last three years i donot know what is good or bad. The server spec is 2 x 300mmx processors with 258mb memory and fast scsi drives running win nt and sql 6.5. i get arround 100 - 165 connections to sql. can anybody give me good tips on what to monitor and what a typical value should be, and how to improve if is below. eg 12 transactions per second max.Is this Good or bad on this server.

• It's hard to pick benchmarks, because what works for one app may not be good for another. Trans/sec is only a good benchmark under a steady load. If your servers are like mine, then the traffic is sporadic.

I'd watch for CPU usage. If you are pegging more than a few seconds at a time, you might need to check on which queries are running slow. Also watch the CPU Queue. Should stay below 3 most of the time.

Watch memory. You will have to monitor paging over time so you can detect when paging is growing or becoming a problem.

There are a couple good books on performance tuning.

SQL Server 2000 Performance Optimization and Tuning Handbook by Ken England

The book by Jenny Fields is ok. You might also want to browse some articles from sql-server-performance.com.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply