Performance issue while fetching 20000000 records

• I have some 20000000 rows in my database. While fetching records on some criteria it take too much time. I created all possible indexing also but still it took more than 3 min. How can i improve performance of my Sp.

In Sp I am using Temp table also and lot of join between those temp table.

Will it improve performance if i create views by joining few tables and then fetch data from those views.

Regards

Priti

• What you want to do after fetching 20000000 rows? Do you want to display all rows the screen?

Regards,

Vijay

• priti 19979 (11/22/2012)

I have some 20000000 rows in my database. While fetching records on some criteria it take too much time. I created all possible indexing also but still it took more than 3 min. How can i improve performance of my Sp.

In Sp I am using Temp table also and lot of join between those temp table.

Will it improve performance if i create views by joining few tables and then fetch data from those views.

Regards

Priti

20,000,000 rows fetching to where? Screen? Another table? File?

Have you checked what takes this time? Try:

SET STATISTICS IO ON

SET STATISTICS TIME ON

To see what takes what...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• I have 20000000 records in table1 which i joined with another table on some criteria and computing the value and then aggregating all the records and displayed it into screen

Example

Insert into #tmpTable1

Select A.Column1*B.Column1 from Table1 A inner join Table2 B on A.column2 =B.Column2

Insert into #tmpTable2

Select * from #tmpTable1 inner join Table3 on ....

select sum(column1) from #tmpTable2

Above is brief example which i used in my sp. But my SP is more complex than this. because i used 6 temp table and joined some 5-6 table . I temp table i am storing data after some calculation and condition and again joined temp table with some other table

finally i have to aggregate all filtered records. Which will be fast if i used views or temp table

Regards

Priti

• ...if i used views or temp table

From you have said, you already using temp tables.

Without looking into real code, it's impossible to suggest anything specific.

Try using views and see if it helps you...

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

• Please post the actual complete procedure, table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I have 20000000 records in table1 which i joined with another table on some criteria and computing the value and then aggregating all the records and displayed it into screen

From what you've posted it looks like you are using temp tables to make the procedure more comprehensible, rather than for any business logic, with that many records you might end up with loads of IO activity that will slow you down.

There is alot to consider here, dropping the temp table approach might be one, using Indexed Views can also speed things up when reading data, but at this point its just shooting in the dark unless you provide exactly what is happening in your query.

-----------------
    ... Then again, I could be totally wrong! Check the answer.
    Check out posting guidelines here for faster more precise answers[/url].

I believe in Codd
    ... and Thinknook is my Chamber of Understanding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply