Patching SQL Servers

• Hi all. Just curious about SQL patching and SQL updates. Who does the patching in your environment? Networking teams or DBAs? What are the pros and cons of either.  Thanks!

Anita

Thanks!

• In my environment the DBA's (small environment). Have sufficients rights and know more what the patches do. Networking team can focus on the other servers

• I've worked for smaller companies where, as the DBA, I was responsible for everything. From installing the physical server, to patching the OS and SQL Server. I've also worked for larger companies with a much more diversified work force. There, I didn't handle the machines or the OS at all. I was only, ever, responsible for SQL Server and what went into it. It was sometimes, but not always, a joint effort to patch the servers. It depended on if there were dependencies (patch the OS, then the SQL Server instance, for example). However, I really grew to prefer this approach. Two reasons. They people who know the hardware and OS better are responsible for those. I can focus where my skills are, SQL Server. Just think the time spent learning subtle OS settings & details is time taken away from learning the same in SQL Server. Also, dividing up security, who has access to what, and limiting some groups access (we couldn't get at the OS at all, nor could we get at the network) helps improve security quite a lot (even as it adds some management & comms overhead). As organizations expand in size, this is usually where they end up.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Our OS patching is handled on a regular cycle with SCCM.   Windows patches are more frequent and regular than SQL patches.

SQL patched are done through SCCM, although there is a lot of manual work involved.  As patches come out, we add them to SCCM and schedule the patches.  I let the systems folks know that there are new patches available, and they schedule them.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Hi,

we use about 150 SQL Server and we do every update automatic. Every SQL server got a maintenance windows, and got his patches, cu and updates without any manuell work.

We got SingleNodes, Cluster and AOAGs, but all are automatically updated.

It works fine, and we are up to date. We use staging, and we need about 2-3 weeks to got the updates from development environment to the production.

Kind regards,

Andreas

• Can you describe the pathing process?

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  cviorel.
  • Hi,

what kind of details would you like to know?

We use a software, and everything works automatically. Every SQL server got an maintenance windows, and in this time the pending patches are installed.

If there is an AOAG, no downtime is needed, and the nodes are patched after another.

We install the windows and the sql patchets together.

Kind regards,

Andreas

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply