patch SQL2005 on windows 2008 geocluster

• Anyone out there got any experience with patching SQL2005 (HF or SP) sitting on a geo-cluster?

when we installed the server we patched up to SP3 and at that time the secondary was paused whilst SP3 was applied to the active node, Then SQL and the disks were failed over, the other node paused and SP3 applied again.

seems to me we should use the same process again when patching, though of course you should be able to apply 2005 patches from the active node and the passive is also done. All the references I can find though relate to standard, one set of disks, clusters.

I have also seen references to standard clusters being patched one node at a time so looks like one node at the time is the way to go, but if anyone has actually done this on a geo-cluster it would be good to have confirmation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• to add to the level of information out there on geo-clusters this is what I did (applying a security patch)

Two node cluster, nodes A and B, node A active

In failover cluster manager, Pause inactive node, node B

Stopped all connections to databases

backed up all databases

applied patch to node A, checked version no.

failed over cluster and storage to node B, paused node A

applied patch to node B, checked version no.

unpaused node A and failed cluster and storage back to node A

Left all nodes active

backed up all databases

• The later SQL server 2005 installers have a /passive option for updating passive cluster nodes. Even so, what you have detailed above seems perfectly reasonable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• you're late Perry 🙂

A /passive option is interesting, when did that become available from? what I wonder (without doing lots of research) is whether MS have deemed to make it clear how geo-clusters would be handled with this option. I can assume it would work or figure it out for myself but would like to see it in black and white from the people who bought us the technology.

• Sorry I'm late mate, been out of UK 😉

Came in around SP2 or SP3 IIRC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply