Password protect Backup files

• THE-FHA (4/17/2012)

Guys what i am actually trying to achieve is to avoid .bak files from being restored elsewhere by someone who got access to the backup file. So column level encryption would not be suitable for me. I need an application which has automation capability on encrypting .bak file using password.

well, well, so sticking a password on it would fulfill your particular requirements?

Do you actually want encryption of the backup or just prevent unauthorised restores?

If you want encryption I would look at hyperbac, you can incorporate it into your current backup strategy with no amendments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (4/18/2012)

THE-FHA (4/17/2012)

Guys what i am actually trying to achieve is to avoid .bak files from being restored elsewhere by someone who got access to the backup file. So column level encryption would not be suitable for me. I need an application which has automation capability on encrypting .bak file using password.

well, well, so sticking a password on it would fulfill your particular requirements?

And your point is? Sorry, George, while you may be correct in that a native-backup-password may satisfy the requirement it does not excuse the fact that it is a poor option. If you're still touting a backup or media password as a possible solution then in my opinion (better?) the offering is short-sighted, ignores proper protocol when it comes to implementing deprecated features when there are reasonable alternative and is a disservice to the OP and others perusing this site at a later time looking for a solution.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three, george sibbald

Okay. We understand your disagreement on this subject, and if you two would like to continue this disagreement, please take it off-line.

• How about the thread? 🙂

opc, you are still insulting me, I resent and refute your last post.

'nuff said.

How about the thread? 🙂

opc, you are still insulting me, I resent and refute your last post.

'nuff said.

I am pretty sure we have reached an impasse, you know my position and I know yours, and I have accomplished my goal on this thread which was to cast the idea of using a backup password in a very poor light so the OP and others know they should avoid it. Our conversation has already devolved into petulent comments and refutations...but why not, we're intelligent people, it might be fun. Feel free to send a PM anytime you have a concern to address. A link to a post on the thread if you want to have it out in there is fine.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• no thanks. despite your moral high tone you are just looking for confrontation. It would be a waste of time.

no thanks. despite your moral high tone you are just looking for confrontation. It would be a waste of time.

Suit yourself. You were the one who purported to being insulted.

--Plato

• opc.three (4/18/2012)

george sibbald (4/18/2012)

no thanks. despite your moral high tone you are just looking for confrontation. It would be a waste of time.

Children, please stop. If this were a soccer (football for the rest of the world) game, I'd yellow card the two of you for dissent.

• Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

opc.three (4/18/2012)

Children, please stop. If this were a soccer (football for the rest of the world) game, I'd yellow card the two of you for dissent.

Cute, but you should really save that stuff for the thread, Lynn.

--Plato

• opc.three (4/18/2012)

Lynn Pettis (4/18/2012)

opc.three (4/18/2012)

Cute, but you should really save that stuff for the thread, Lynn.

I'm done.

• Do you actually want encryption of the backup or just prevent unauthorised restores?

Both.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply