Passing parameter values to MDX query using SSRS

• Hi, I have an MDX data-set query as follows: -

Member [Measures].[Measure3] As [Measures].[Value Rent Period Receipts]

Member [Measures].[Measure4] As (([Measures].[Value Rent Period Receipts]*-1)/[Measures].[Value Rent Period Debit])

Select {[Measures].[Measure1]

,[Measures].[Measure2]

,[Measures].[Measure3]

,[Measures].[Measure4]

} On Columns

,Non Empty LastPeriods(@LagMonths,[Time].[Fiscal Time].currentMember) On Rows

FROM ( SELECT ( STRTOSET(@TenancyTenure, CONSTRAINED) ) ON COLUMNS

FROM [CBIHousing])

Where(

Iif(StrToSet(@TenancyTenure, Constrained).Count = 1, StrToSet(@TenancyTenure,Constrained), [Tenancy].[Tenancy Tenure].currentmember)

)

;

There are two parameters; the value of lag passed to the LastPeriods function, and tenancy types passed in the where clause

I have a third parameter I would like to use called FirstDate and this I would like to pass to the LastPeriods function as the second argument

FirstDate is a value from my Time dimension, something like [Time].[Fiscal Time].[Sep. 15]

When editing the query to: -

Member [Measures].[Measure4] As (([Measures].[Value Rent Period Receipts]*-1)/[Measures].[Value Rent Period Debit])

,[Measures].[Measure2]

,[Measures].[Measure3]

,[Measures].[Measure4]

} On Columns

,Non Empty LastPeriods(@LagMonths,@FirstDate) On Rows

FROM [CBIHousing])

Where(

Iif(StrToSet(@TenancyTenure, Constrained).Count = 1, StrToSet(@TenancyTenure,Constrained), [Tenancy].[Tenancy Tenure].currentmember)

)

;

The code errors. I have tried all sorts of formats such as LastPeriods(@LagMonths,[@FirstDate]) and LastPeriods(@LagMonths,[Time].[Fiscal Time].[@FirstDate]), but nothing works

Has anyone any ideas?

Thank you for your attention

Regards

Duncan

All the best,

Duncan

• Try the StrToMember function. Also make sure your parameter strings are formatted correctly. Here's a snippet of code I used that is working.

{StrToMember(@MonthYear, CONSTRAINED).lag(23):StrToMember(@MonthYear, CONSTRAINED)}

• Brian hi, thanks for getting back to me I appreciate your help. I edited the code but without success; did I do it right?

The view returned is to show the measures for each month over the last n months, where n is the lag months value and the date from is the first date value

With Member [Measures].[Measure1] As [Measures].[PI002 Rent Collection Ratio RAT (%)]

Member [Measures].[Measure2] As [Measures].[Value Rent Period Debit]

,[Measures].[Measure2]

,[Measures].[Measure3]

,[Measures].[Measure4]

} On Columns

,(StrToMember(@FirstDate,Constrained).Lag(@LagMonths):(StrToMember(@FirstDate,Constrained)) On Rows

FROM [CBIHousing])

Where(

[Property V].[Reporting Rent Group].[SomeHA]

)

;

Here's the error text

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Report Builder

------------------------------

Query preparation failed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Query (11, 18) Parser: The syntax for 'FirstDate' is incorrect. (Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Analysis Services)

BUTTONS:

OK

Here's the parameter settings

LagMonths - no dimension, no hierarchy, no multiple values, Default = 12

FirstDate - no dimension, no hierarchy, no multiple values, Default = 1[Time].[Fiscal Time].[Sep. 15]

TenancyTenure- Tenancy, TenancyTenure, allow multiple values, Default = 'All Tenures'

Any help, pointers would be hugely appreciated

Thank you

Duncan

All the best,

Duncan

• I suspect the problem is with the Lag(@LagMonths) but I'm not sure. Can you try putting a constant in there to see if that's the problem?

Another troubleshooting tip is to run a SQL Profiler trace on the SSAS instance. Then you can see how SSRS is manipulating the query which can help you see where the problem is.

• Brian hi, edited the query as follows

With Member [Measures].[Measure1] As [Measures].[PI002 Rent Collection Ratio RAT (%)]

Member [Measures].[Measure2] As [Measures].[Value Rent Period Debit]

,[Measures].[Measure2]

,[Measures].[Measure3]

,[Measures].[Measure4]

} On Columns

,(StrToMember(@FirstDate,Constrained).Lag(6):StrToMember(@FirstDate,Constrained)) On Rows

FROM [CBIHousing])

Where(

[Property V].[Reporting Rent Group].[SomeHA]

)

;

With exactly the same result "Query(11,18) Parser: The syntax for 'FirstDate' is incorrect

All the best,

Duncan

• One more thing, are you formatting the parameters to look like the members? I would recommend a trace at this point so you can see the raw MDX.

• Finally cracked it; used LastPeriods(@LagMonths,StrToMember(@FirstDate))

Thank you for your help

All the best,

Duncan

• Good job. Glad to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply