PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM

• Hey All,

I was reading thru the 70-432 book and it was talking about PAGE_VERIFY CHECKSUM and recommended that it be enabled on all production servers. The functionality seems good, and it seems like enabling it would be a good idea.

but then I read the dreaded Microsoft lie " this may incur a slight performance penalty " Seeing as how i just recently crashed a prod server while running a client side profiler instead of a server side trace (you live and you learn), I am more than a little leery about the "slight performance penalty statement'

I'm sure it depends on your hardware, size of the db, yadda yadda yadda....but was curious has anyone enabled this and lived to regret it?

Or is this as good as they say it is?

Thanks!

• btb1977 (6/5/2009)

but then I read the dreaded Microsoft lie " this may incur a slight performance penalty " Seeing as how i just recently crashed a prod server while running a client side profiler instead of a server side trace (you live and you learn), I am more than a little leery about the "slight performance penalty statement'

So test it on a non-production server first.

I'm sure it depends on your hardware, size of the db, yadda yadda yadda....but was curious has anyone enabled this and lived to regret it?

Nope. I seem to recall figures of around 1-2%

Check Paul's blog. He might have more there

Or is this as good as they say it is?

It's essential if you want the ability to pick up all forms of corruption. Page Verify Torn page only picked up some.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply