• Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:01 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:11 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:02 AM

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:36 AM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 7:20 AM

patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:24 AM

NorthernSoul - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:17 AM

John Mitchell-245523 - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 3:12 AM

I think I must have misunderstood something.  The "Correct Answer" section lists the first three options as being the correct answers.  The Explanation section then goes on to say "All the alternatives are correct".  Not sure which one of those is true.  Also, we're asked to choose three out of the five "errors", but only the first two of those five are actually errors.

John

I agree, it caught me out too.

Thanks

If all of them were correct, why was selecting three of them wrong??!?!?! I think I should get double my points back!!!!

But they are not all correct. Look closely at the last two.

Check_Alloc technically doesn't exist as there is no underscore but if were spelled correctly CHECKALLOC <> CHECKDB (But one portion of CHECKDB is to run CHECKALLOC). So that one is a bit of a stretch to not be considered a correct answer.

The last one though. RESTORE <> BACKUP.

He said they were all correct πŸ™‚ But then he didn't give me my invisible internet points πŸ™

The question was a good one and the correct answers in the question are correct.

Well, no, because the question says "which errors", and "a query has to read a page" isn't an error.  That's what threw me.

John

That is poor wording but it is copied exactly from BOL.

For that matter if we really want to get pedantic there is no wrong answer because the question states "Select the three alternatives that you consider to be correct". That could be interpreted as opinion and therefore there is no right or wrong answer. πŸ˜›

I think that we all agree the question topic was good but the question itself could have been better.

This still doesn't make sense to me.
    The question:  A page is considered "suspect" when the SQL Server Database Engine encounters one of the following errors
    From the explanation: 

• An 823 error that was caused by a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) issued by the operating system, such as a disk error (certain hardware errors)

• An 824 error, such as a torn page (any logical error)

Then it goes on to say that: The Database Engine records any suspect pages encountered during regular processing, such as the following: 

• A Query has to read a page  - I read that as: 'while a page is being read, it's checked for the two errors above, and if they are found then it's marked Suspect', not: 'every page being read by a query is marked suspect'

• Am I misunderstanding something?

• BTW thanks for the question - I always learn from the discussion afterward, whether I get it right or wrong!

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply