OUTPUT - 1

• Many years ago I was working to support a SQL Server based accounting system and had a very troubling issue that was ultimately found to have been caused by case sensitivity.

I learned the hard way that it can matter 🙂

• Wow - what a nice question! Thanks, Ron!

• Thanks, nice question

• Raghavendra Mudugal (2/27/2013)

actually... mine does. I am using the below version

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 - 11.0.2218.0 (X64)

Jun 12 2012 13:05:25

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

and the model database's default collation is "Latin1_General_CI_AI" and when installing the sql express and under server configuration it was default selected

so i guess it mainly depends on what you select in the core setup, and Microsoft has made this as the default choice in the setup.

Interesting. I wonder if this is a new thing in SQL 2012, or maybe a difference between 32-bit and 64-bit - I'm still on 2008R2 32 bit and the default for both developer edition and express edition is CI_AS (although when I picked up the 2008R2 version of AdventureWorks it had a database collation Latin1_General_CI_AI). Or it may even be a difference between different countries.

Tom

• Thanks for the question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• batgirl (2/27/2013)

Many years ago I was working to support a SQL Server based accounting system and had a very troubling issue that was ultimately found to have been caused by case sensitivity.

I learned the hard way that it can matter 🙂

I learnt the hard way too: back in SQL 2000 days the default collation was one of the SQL collations (presumably at latin one, but I don't recall which) not a windows collation; but our code was all designed to work with Latin_General_CI_AS (except for bits designed to work with Arabic or other languages using non-Latin alphabets). The installation team managed, despite very clear instructions, to install servers at some customer sites with the default collation (and the wrong default language too, in many cases - they must have actively overridden the SQL server defaults there) and the resulting problems in getting the systems up and running correctly were pretty horrendous. Eventually the installation team was successfully educated, and it stopped happening, but while it was happening it made life very hard.

Tom

• Yes indeed nice question.

Ofcourse the answer depends on the collation of COL1 but if collation is not explicitly defined for COL1 during create statement then we need to assume that column is using the default collation of sql server database which is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS (Case Insensitive, Accent Sensitive)

Mohammad Atif
    Email ID : mohammad.atif1987@gmail.com

• Awesome Question...

Thank You.

• Interesting question.

I wonder why people thinking too complex(colation) for simple task.

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

• Thanks! Good question.

• Raghavendra Mudugal (2/27/2013)

Very interesting question, did not know until now... and I answered all correct with just mental work 🙂 and I can feel my confidence is somewhat kicking in back..

quote]

+1

• Pretty good question (though you can get some issues based on collations etc as I work on environment based on different collation then default). Interesting. 🙂

• Very Nice Question. I liked it.

Thanks.

• Good question. Nice functionallity, I did not know of it existance.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply