Outer Join stopped working migrating from SQL Server 2008 R2 to Sql Server 2017

• I have a Powerbuilder App that uses *= for an outer join in many SQL statements. I don't have the source code anymore to change the SQL. I needed to move to this SQL version for many reasons. What should I do? I am stuck. Please help.

Thanks,

Michael

• You likely were running in an older compatibility mode which is no longer supported. The old join syntax would have needed to be changed a long, long, long time ago. You need to go back to the old 2008 R2 how you had things configured and the business needs to figure out what to do with that app. There isn't anything that you can do if running under a more recent version of SQL Server. It's just not going to work with the old join syntax. Testing, upgrade advisor, checking for deprecated features, etc would catch those things.

Sue

• So there is not middleware that would accept the old joins and translate them into new one?

• mfeldman1969 wrote:

So there is not middleware that would accept the old joins and translate them into new one?

Not that I am aware of. You are kind of stuck.  If it's any consolation, I've been in your same shoes.  Except the offending code was something that was only executed once a month.  And it was never part of the regression testing.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• hmm OK 🙁

• Is there a way to uncompile code from PB - anyone knows?

• There are quite a few Powerbuilder decompilers available if you do a search. I'd be careful about the downloads though...no doubt some of those are just to infect PCs.

Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply