OS Upgrade to Win2008

• Hello friends at SSC,

A project manager is engaging me for a project from hell... My customer has nearly 100 servers running different version and flavors of Windows 2003 and they are upgrading to Windows 2008R2.

These servers are running either SQL2005 SP4 to SQL 2008R2. Nothing too complicated, no mirror, no replication, Tlog, cluster, nothing big, DB less than 100GB, and will have plenty of down time...

I'm not concerned about the OS because I'm not handling it 😀 I know there will be hardware considerations, bigger C:\ drives, memory, etc.

but assuming the box can take it, What's the best course of action?

1- Backup everything, Let Windows upgrade do their thing, and trust that the upgrade works, and after the fact upgrade SQL if needed

2- Backup everything. Remove SQL clean, do the Windows upgrade, and then install/upgrade SQL

3- Backup everything. Wipe the OS clean, reimage and install Win2008, and the install/upgrade SQL

Any URL with useful information is welcome. I tried to look for it, but all I could find was upgrades for OS or SQL.

Thank you

Miguel

• 3 please

Backup all user databases first and export any logins, jobs, linked servers, certs, etc.

Clean OS and install new version of database engine, you'll be able to use the same computer name and IP etc. Then just plug in your user databases and import any objects you exported.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply