OS Disk Failure/SQl on another drive

• Yesterday, it appears that the system disk of my server crashed. However, SQL Server was installed on another disk, which has been relocated onto another server. I had the most important DB backed up, but not msdb, so I do not have a backup of the DTS packages, logins, etc. Here are my questions:

1. Initially, the DB was SQl Server 7 on WIN NT. The new server is Win 2000, Sql Server 2000. When I install SQL Server 2000, it will create a new msdb. Is there a way to use what is in the old msdb, since I still do have those files? There may be compatibility issues, I am guessing. Should I first install SQL 7 and try to do some things, like replace the new msdb .mdf with the old one?

2. At the last moment before I left, I made an attemp to restore the important db from the backup onto another server, using a differnt DB name. Using Enterprise Manager, I was able to 'see' the backup when I selected Restore, From File, Selected the backup, but when I tried to do a restore, it failed saying something about I have to use 'With Move' ( I will get the exact message when I try again). Is there any hope of being able to use this backup on a different server? The backup was created on a WIN NT server with SQL Server 7, and I am restoring to Win 2000, SQL Server 2000. Do I need perhaps to install SQL Server 7?

Thanks for any help.

Pam

• If you have the msdb.mdf you can attach it to an existing server. Just detach the existing one (the new one created in this case) and reattach the old one. Only problems you may have will be stuff that uses a specific computer name.

I think the backup will work, but if you are changing the path to the files you have to use the "with move" option. Look through BOL, believe they have some examples.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply