Organising DTSX packages

• Hi all

We have a lot of DTSX packages in our solutions.

For example, we have a MASTER package that calls other packages to do the actual work (and these may, in turn, call other packages to break the work down into smaller chunks).

Unfortunately, all the packages in Visual Studio that appear  to be stored in alphabetical order (but not always).

What we would like to do is to store the packages in folder to group them together .

For example, we would have a "Level 1" folder with the Master package in it, a "Level 2" folder with the main set of DTSX packages, a "Level 3" folder and so on.

I suppose we could rename the DTSX packages to start with the appropriate level number (or any other sort of marker) but my OCD is saying to store them in folders.

Does anyone know if this is possible (it doesn't appear so at first glance) and, if so, how it can be done?

TIA

Richard

• Not possible, as far as I know. It's not the first time this question has been asked!

You can modify the default order in which the packages are displayed by modifying the project file in a text editor, but that comes a poor second to the folder idea.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• You can organize them in folder in MSDB or in the file system but not in VS sadly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply