Oracle to Oracle ETL PL/SQL vs SSIS

• We started exploring SSIS (2008) to do some Oracle to Oracle (10gR2) ETL but some of our developers are really pushing for us to use PL/SQL for all of the transformations, claiming that the performance must be better. I really enjoy SSIS and I'm hoping there are some points I can make in favor of continuing to use it. If its a consideration, we are also using SSRS for reporting... Can any Sql Server evangelists give me some good talking points or should I just suck it up and brush off my PL/SQL reference guide?

• PL/SQL would be much faster

• I would go with PL/SQL, it is simple to manage...

• plenty of good reasons to use SSIS....might even consider using attunity's CDC for Oracle..

http://www.attunity.com/change_data_capture_for_ssis

• baal32 (3/21/2009)

Oracle to Oracle (10gR2) ETL

Oracle to Oracle?

Why would you want to add overhead?

Use Oracle! 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply