ORACLE 9i Linked Server

• Hi,

I have a SQL Server database named HENDRA on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I want to configure a linked server to ORACLE database server named ASTERIX using OLEDB Provider MSDAORA. I installed a ORACLE 9i client on my SQL Server database server. I used a remote collation and specified a collation name ( Latin etc ). I used remote login to connect to an ORACLE server ( user = scott, passwd = tiger ). When I tried to view any object in a linked server a received an error message told me that there is an error in OLEDB Provider.

I tried to connect to ORACLE database through Visual Basic using ADO Data Control with the same userid and passwd. Everything is fine. But when I review the connection string, I found that OLEDB Provider that used to connect is MSDAORA.1

What's wrong ???

• It's just a newer version.

Andy

• What was the full error message from SQL 2000 connection (number and all please)?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• This is an error message

Error 7399 : OLEDB Provider MSDAORA reported an error

Do I have to use MSDAORA.1 instead of MSDAORA in a linked server defenition ?

• If you run "tnsping ASTERIX" at the command prompt, what do you get? If you get an error,

check if your tnsnames.ora is ok.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply