Operations Manager Custom Collection

• Thanks. I'm glad it was at all helpful. Keep an eye out for Thomas LaRock articles too. I know he's got a new one coming becuase he let me review it before he sent it in to Steve. He's been working with OpsMgr quite a while longer than I have, so he's worth listening to.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (8/8/2008)

Thanks. I'm glad it was at all helpful. Keep an eye out for Thomas LaRock articles too. I know he's got a new one coming becuase he let me review it before he sent it in to Steve. He's been working with OpsMgr quite a while longer than I have, so he's worth listening to.

That's great to hear.

Please guys, keep these articles coming. I'm working with MS support right now on creating custom functionality similar to yours, and I'm frustrated to no end. They in effect told me that what I'm trying to do (create a custom rule/monitor based on a vbs script) is not possible. Instead I should create a SQL job that runs on a schedule and writes the information to the Event Log for SCOM to pick it up! What's even the point of using SCOM if I have to rely on a SQL Server job for monitoring?:crazy:

I can live with poor documentation, but when even MS support does not help me, then that's the ultimate...

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Yeah, that's pretty common. We have a Microsoft consultant who comes in on site to help us with OM issues. I showed him what I was doing and he started taking notes. It didn't fill me with confidence.

Say, you wouldn't know if there was a rule or monitor in place that caught logged errors with a severity greater than, say, 17?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (8/8/2008)

Yeah, that's pretty common. We have a Microsoft consultant who comes in on site to help us with OM issues. I showed him what I was doing and he started taking notes. It didn't fill me with confidence.

Say, you wouldn't know if there was a rule or monitor in place that caught logged errors with a severity greater than, say, 17?

😀 That's hilarious!

Somewhere someone has documented all this stuff about context parameters etc. Why hasn't Microsoft bothered to put it up on msdn? :w00t:

My initial answer would be they want to make $$$ off support fees.

But, now I'm not so sure after the experience I've been having...

Regarding your question, I don't know of anything like this at the moment, but will let you know if I come across anything.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]

• Marios, I agree completely. I've had some "challenges" dealing with MS support as well, and have found lack of documentation and expertise... So that's why these posts, blogs, forums etc are priceless, way more useful than PSS.;)

• SQLEngine (8/8/2008)

Marios, I agree completely. I've had some "challenges" dealing with MS support as well, and have found lack of documentation and expertise... So that's why these posts, blogs, forums etc are priceless, way more useful than PSS.;)

I showed MS support Grant's article, and I think we are finally getting somewhere... 🙂

• In the article, does the rule output data to the Event Log?

If not, how can I get a rule to do so?

Thanks!

• as I understand it, it simply collects data for reporting, file size in this case. Although I have problems reporting on it. I've tried to use Performance reports from the Generic report template, but when I look for FreeSpaceINMB, or SpaceUsedInMb or anything like that I can't find it in Browse. The rule name doesn;t come up either, so that would be a Grant question

• Marios Philippopoulos (8/9/2008)

In the article, does the rule output data to the Event Log?

If not, how can I get a rule to do so?

Thanks!

Actually I figured it out after a lot of experimentation (... and swearing...) 😉

• I think I've completed the swearing part... how are you reporting on this? Are you using Performance canned reports in Reporting space?

• SQLEngine (8/11/2008)

I think I've completed the swearing part... how are you reporting on this? Are you using Performance canned reports in Reporting space?

Sorry, I meant that I figured out how to get a rule to write to the Event Log and another rule to pick up the info from the Event Log and generate an alert on it.

Grant's article helped a lot, but his objective is somewhat different than mine. On the Reporting piece, he'd be the best person to ask.

Actually, if I may make another comment on the article, again I thought it was great and very useful but could use a bit more info towards the end explaining how to expose the data as a report in SCOM.

I think that would address your question.

• Sorry I haven't been taking part in the discussion. Rhode Island celebrates VJ Day so I had the day off... Whatever.

Adding in reporting or views would be a good idea, but they were so easy to do after all the work around getting the data into a property bag, that it just didn't occur to me.

The goal of my process here was to gather data for long term reporting and trending, not as a monitor and response. That dictated the use of the Probe. That exposes the property bag object which is how you get data into OpsMgr for long term storage and management. The first time I created the rule and the scripts, I didn't get data because I had it set to run once a day. To verify it was working correctly, I initially created it with data collection for once every 5 minutes. Within a while, I think about 45 minutes, of creating the rule, I began to see data. It took a while for it to send it out to all the servers and then begin collecting.

The report I'm running currently is just a query using the RuleRowId to identify the appropriate rule. It'll be different in every system, so just query the vRule view to see which one is appropriate. I was also able to create view by selecting the rule name. It should be available after the data collection starts. If it isn't, there may be a problem with the script, or the Probe definition. I had a lot of trouble figuring out how to get the Probe definition right.

I'm sorry the article wasn't clear enough on these points. I was really hoping to help people who had been stuck like I was. It seems I may have just muddied the waters more.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (8/12/2008)

I'm sorry the article wasn't clear enough on these points. I was really hoping to help people who had been stuck like I was. It seems I may have just muddied the waters more.

I think you accomplished your purpose, but, like any good article, you stimulated minds and the discussion expands upon the original intent of the article. I would hope that any article I may write would do the same.

• Hopefully, you're right. It does seem like this one may have missed a point or two. Something to keep in mind for the next one.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (8/12/2008)

Not at all, if it wasn't for your article, I wouldn't have been able to get my SCOM stuff to work, which I just managed to over the last few days. 🙂

I just don't know a thing about SCOM reporting, so I will need to spend some time looking into that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply