Open MDMP Dump File

• I’m not a regular user of VS 2012, but the I have a MDMP (SQL DUMP FILE). That I need to open and debug. This is on a production server. Is it safe to open this in VS 2012 and hit the DEBUG button without affecting anything in LIVE.
    Bit concerned as it looks at the SQLSever.exe file and doesn’t open the file off the network.

Is there a danger here of affecting the server or am I being paranoid.

• https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic696229-149-1.aspx

Shouldn't be an issue. Nothing in here should be executable if SQL Server created them. If you're nervous, maybe use Wordpad or Notepad++

• Super Cat - Monday, September 10, 2018 3:01 AM

I’m not a regular user of VS 2012, but the I have a MDMP (SQL DUMP FILE). That I need to open and debug. This is on a production server. Is it safe to open this in VS 2012 and hit the DEBUG button without affecting anything in LIVE.
    Bit concerned as it looks at the SQLSever.exe file and doesn’t open the file off the network.

Is there a danger here of affecting the server or am I being paranoid.

You can open and analyze dump files with WinDbg. You don't change anything or attach to the process - just open the dump file.
    For a good walk through  on downloading WinDbg, getting the symbol files and analyzing, you can refer to this article:
    WinDbg and SQL Server Fun

After you set it up and open the dump file in WinDbg, it's usually just a matter of executing: ! analyse -v

Sue

• Thanks Sue. I'll take a look at that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply