ONE-TIME MIGRATION FROM ORACLE TO SQL SERVER.

• re: ONE-TIME MIGRATION FROM ORACLE TO SQL SERVER.

I want to know the best way to migrate tables from Oracle 9i

to SQL Server '08 R2 as a cutover i.e. NO updates, no CDC (Change

Data Capture) with Attunity. Just SELECT INTO the SQL Server tables,

which DO NOT yet exist and shutdown the Oracle server for good.

I do not see any sample SSIS pkgs which do a SELECT INTO where

tables on the SQL Server do not yet exist.

Thank you,

XPXJ

peter@charter.net

• xpxj (11/29/2010)

re: ONE-TIME MIGRATION FROM ORACLE TO SQL SERVER.

I want to know the best way to migrate tables from Oracle 9i

to SQL Server '08 R2 as a cutover i.e. NO updates, no CDC (Change

Data Capture) with Attunity. Just SELECT INTO the SQL Server tables,

which DO NOT yet exist and shutdown the Oracle server for good.

I do not see any sample SSIS pkgs which do a SELECT INTO where

tables on the SQL Server do not yet exist.

Migration Assistant for Oracle would do the job. Just bing it, plenty of documentation in the net as well as in Microsoft KB.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • 167 pgs of instruction for . . .

"The free Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Oracle speeds the migration process. SSMA for Oracle V4.0 converts Oracle database objects (including stored procedures) to SQL Server database objects, loads those objects into SQL Server, migrates data from Oracle to SQL Server, and then validates the migration of code and data."

I really wasn't planning on investing a lifetime.

Have you used SSMA ? Advice ? Pitfalls ?

Thx,

xpxj

• xpxj (11/29/2010)

167 pgs of instruction for . . .

"The free Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Oracle speeds the migration process. SSMA for Oracle V4.0 converts Oracle database objects (including stored procedures) to SQL Server database objects, loads those objects into SQL Server, migrates data from Oracle to SQL Server, and then validates the migration of code and data."

I really wasn't planning on investing a lifetime.

Have you used SSMA ? Advice ? Pitfalls ?

Thx,

xpxj

Do you want to do it? or do it right?

167 pages for such a critical step seems downright small. You should be able to go through it in less than a day (and if you measure lifetimes in a day, well, that's a different issue). If it's important enough to take the database from Oracle to SQL Server, it's important enough to do it right - the first time. Otherwise, you'll end up with management questioning why did they move from Oracle to this sucky sql server product.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• See Suresh Maganti article[/url]...

• Am sure the issue must be sorted by now, but still, just for future reference to others. You might consider this as well:

http://sqlcat.com/sqlcat/b/technicalnotes/archive/2008/08/09/moving-large-amounts-of-data-between-oracle-and-sql-server-findings-and-observations.aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply