OLAP Administrator

• Ok. This is my first time working with OLAP. One of developers says that he has to be OLAP administrator to work with cubes.

The database that he's working on has sensitive data (ok, what database doesn't have sensitive data). If I give him OLAP administrator rights does that only give him Administrator anything like SA or systemAdmin rights.

Just want to be sure before I give it to him.

Thanks,

Patrick Birch

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• From looking at BOL it looks ok to me, but hopefully we can find someone who knows for sure!

Andy

• what does he need to do? you can manage roles in the Analysis Manager.

If he needs to create cubes, he may need these rights, but I'd create it for him, give him the Cube Manager role, and see.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Cube Manager, eh?

I looked through BOL and it didn't say if the OLAP Administrator had the same rights as a Sysadmin. I know the developer would love to have sysadmin, but he won't get that.

quote:

what does he need to do? you can manage roles in the Analysis Manager.

If he needs to create cubes, he may need these rights, but I'd create it for him, give him the Cube Manager role, and see.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Patrick Birch

• u can give him OLAP Admin rights. The OLAP admins can't change the data from database. They can create cubes only using data.

• Thanks, patilds.

quote:

u can give him OLAP Admin rights. The OLAP admins can't change the data from database. They can create cubes only using data.

Patrick Birch

• Thanks for the info, however beaware that he can change the design of the cube and mis-represent data. Be sure someone reviews the code and application before distributing the data as "valid" in any context.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply