# of records and TOP clause

• Is there a way in SQL Server to get the number of records in a SELECT that has a TOP clause. That is the total number of records that match the criteria.

SELECT TOP 50 Col1, Col2

FROM tblMyTable

WHERE Col1 = 'abc'

If a million records fit this WHERE clause criteria, how can I get the number of records of a million rather than 50 -- other than doing a COUNT() in a separate SELECT?

• rgtft (7/1/2011)

Is there a way in SQL Server to get the number of records in a SELECT that has a TOP clause. That is the total number of records that match the criteria.

SELECT TOP 50 Col1, Col2

FROM tblMyTable

WHERE Col1 = 'abc'

If a million records fit this WHERE clause criteria, how can I get the number of records of a million rather than 50 -- other than doing a COUNT() in a separate SELECT?

If you need both the top 50 and the count() then you have to do both.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (7/1/2011)

That's what I thought; I was just wondering if there was some behind the scenes variable in SQL Server's internal workings that might have the total rows that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks,

Rob

• rgtft (7/1/2011)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (7/1/2011)

That's what I thought; I was just wondering if there was some behind the scenes variable in SQL Server's internal workings that might have the total rows that I wasn't aware of.

Well... in that sense you are correct, information is there in some place because you can see it when tracing a particular query, problem is that I do not think such information is readily available to a normal query in standard circumstances.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • You can try something like this:

select top 100 name , CountOfRow = COUNT(*) OVER( PARTITION BY 1)

from sys.columns

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply