odbc timeout problem

• We are trying to put an application into production but the end user beta-testing the application complained about ODBC timeouts which track back to a DTS refresh being performed by another end user several times a day.  I'm thinking this is a querytimeout situation so I followed the advice of Q208386 on Microsoft knowledge base and reset my querytimeout on the ODBC in the registry on my machine from 60 to 120.  Unfortunately, when I open the application while the DTS refresh is going on and the wait exceeds 60 seconds, I still get an ODBC timeout.  So is the server doing this or can't my p.c. count? 

Any suggestions?

• I think I figured this out! 

After setting everything on the Access side to 300 seconds and beta-testing the application when the DTS refresh ran, I determined that the ODBC error occurred after 60 seconds.  I then looked at the SQL server properties and saw that the query timeout there was 60 seconds.  I don't think that if I change the SQL server timeout seconds it will have any impact on the issue so I'm going to revisit the DTS refresh and see if I can get it to run more efficiently.  For example I did notice that some tables connected to this refresh didn't upsize correctly so I'm thinking if I fix those, it will release some resources to do the other stuff.

Just learning as I go!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply