NUMA, Processor

• Hello all,

I have a server with 2 NUMA Nodes and each NUMA has 16 Cores (Total of 32 cores with 2 NUMA nodes) and no hyperthreading enabled and it is virtual machine, My sql server is standard edition 2008 r2. ?

Is there any way to see how many cores are being used by SQL server ?

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

• select cpu_count from sys.dm_os_sys_info

That's what SQL Server sees. Should be in the error log. SQL should use all available.

Or do you mean the percentage of CPU by core as an item to monitor?

• sys.dm_os_schedulers should show you how many CPUs are being used.

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/29/2014)

select cpu_count from sys.dm_os_sys_info

That's what SQL Server sees. Should be in the error log. SQL should use all available.

It probably doesnt matter in this case as it is 2008 R2 and it is limited to processors not cores but if this was a 2012 or 2014 box wouldn't sys.dm_os_info still show 32 cpu but only 16 of those be used due to standard edition? wouldnt sys.dm_os_schedulers show just 16?

Bob
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to post to get the best help[/url]

• I'm seeing 32 CPU and are online when I run sys.dm_os_scheduler.

So that means SQL server is able to use all the 32 available. I checked no affinity is configured so thats good to use 32 CPU's available.

What is the ideal Maxdop value of 2 NUMA, 16 CPU each and no hyper threading ?

Regards,

Pavan S

[font="Tahoma"]
    --SQLFRNDZ[/url]
    [/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply