NULL = NULL

• Hi clever people!

given the following:

SELECT CASE WHEN NULL = NULL THEN 'No' ELSE 'Yes' END AS Result

Result would be no because one null value cannot be equal to another because null means 'UNKNOWN'.

1. What if anything could influence this query to produce a different result?

2. Provide a query to behave correctly.

Kind regards

• In order to compare NULL values, you need to convert them to a known value.

Below is how I would do it, with 3 different data types

DECLARE @Var1 varchar(10) = NULL;
    DECLARE @Var2 varchar(10) = NULL;

SELECT [Direct_Compare] = CASE WHEN @Var1 = @Var2 THEN 'Match' ELSE 'No Match' END
    , [IsNull_Compare] = CASE WHEN ISNULL(@Var1, '') = ISNULL(@Var2, '') THEN 'Match' ELSE 'No Match' END;
    GO
    DECLARE @Var1 int = NULL;
    DECLARE @Var2 int = NULL;

SELECT [Direct_Compare] = CASE WHEN @Var1 = @Var2 THEN 'Match' ELSE 'No Match' END
    , [IsNull_Compare] = CASE WHEN ISNULL(@Var1, 0) = ISNULL(@Var2, 0) THEN 'Match' ELSE 'No Match' END;
    GO
    DECLARE @Var1 datetime = NULL;
    DECLARE @Var2 datetime = NULL;

, [IsNull_Compare] = CASE WHEN ISNULL(@Var1, '1900-01-01') = ISNULL(@Var2, '1900-01-01') THEN 'Match' ELSE 'No Match' END;
    GO
  • Here is an alternative which avoids the use of IsNull() and does not require 'conversion to a known value':

DECLARE @Var1 DATETIME = NULL;
    DECLARE @Var2 DATETIME = NULL;

SELECT Direct_Compare = CASE
    WHEN @Var1 = @Var2 THEN
    'Match'
    ELSE
    'No Match'
    END
    ,Is_Null_Compare = CASE
    WHEN @Var1 IS NULL
    AND @Var2 IS NULL THEN
    'Match'
    ELSE
    'No Match'
    END;

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Phil Parkin.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I, personally, tend to go down this route:

CASE WHEN Col1 = Col2 OR (Col1 IS NULL AND Col2 IS NULL) THEN 'Yes'
    ELSE 'No'
    END AS Matches

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• This is the standard SQL 'IS DISTINCT FROM' operator, not current implemented in T-SQL (yet!)

Interesting article below mentions it is implemented in the query processor

https://www.sql.kiwi/2011/06/undocumented-query-plans-equality-comparisons.html

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
  • "SELECT CASE WHEN NULL = NULL THEN 'No' ELSE 'Yes' END AS Result

Result would be no because one null value cannot be equal to another because null means 'UNKNOWN'."

Perhaps just a typo, but the result is "Yes", not "No", precisely because of the argument you stated well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply