NT Administrator vs SQL DBA

• Hi there The NT administrators should be able to create you an admin group on your servers whereby you have local admin rights but you cannot see things like users. Thats what I have here at my company so I can do anything to my sqlservers. I would speak to them as if anything goes wrong with these servers the company is up s*it creek with out a paddle. I would go to the company director if you need to.

as long as you have sqladmins to the sql server though you should be fine.

Regards,

Terry

• Does SSIS have the same issues as DTS when running remotely (can't get access to files on the server, etc)? That one has always necessitated local logins for me - lots of DTS work.

• First, this is a valid separation of duties and I've worked places where they implemented it. It does slow you down in a crisis, but if management agrees that's the price for higher security and a separation of duties that's OK. If it causes you issues, document the issues.

In SS2K5, you can get many, or even most, of the performance counters as a virtualized table inside SQL Server. Indeed, quite a bit more troubleshooting can be done via T-SQL. The counters are always on, so there's no performance hit there. They aren't recorded via a GUI, so if you run that (server side or client side) you are using some resources to move the counters into a display setting. You can setup automated logs, or ask the NT admins to that as well and review them later.

SSIS, and DTS access files as needed based on the location it's run from. So when you are developing, you are running from your workstation. Best to duplicate the file system the server will see when developing. Access from the server depends on the service accounts used when running the SSIS packages.

• Yep, I've tried to do that (duplicate file structure), but with clustered servers and multiple drive letters it can really be a headache.

I've tried using network shares to get around this, but you don't want to create too many file shares on your SQL Server clusters. Maybe I need to get admin access to a file server as well 🙂

• It's definitely a headache, but mount points, mapping drives back to specific folders helps.

Getting access to the server isn't necessary. There should be a group that you setup, or the admins setup, for the specific folder(s) needed, and then add all accounts to that group for permissions.

• very simple solution, start scheduling maintenance where you need local admin access off hours and the later the better. soon the NT people will give it back to you

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply