Normalize data using Pivot WITHOUT using Aggregate function

• I've searched the forums here (which usually have a wealth of knowledge), but have been unable to find an answer to my problem. Below is the layout of my table as it is currently:

Below is how I want the table to turn out:

TABLE CURRENTLY:

UniqueIDColumnNameText

1ID123146

2SubjectAreaMath

3LocalCourseCode000A1

4SchoolID123

5SourceHub

6CourseTitleAlgebra I

7ID94503

8SubjectAreaScience

9LocalCourseCode9037

10SchoolID46

11SourceAnnex

12CourseTitleBiology II

WHAT I WANT:

IDSubjectAreaLocalCourseCodeSchoolIDSourceCourseTitle

123146Math000A1123HubAlgebra I

94503Science903746AnnexBiology II

I am currently using the PIVOT function in SQL Server 2008. However, using this function still requires the use of an aggregate, which kills what I'm trying to do. I am currently using min(text) for ColumnName in (<ColumnNames>).

However, that does not produce correct results. I would like to use the PIVOT function because of speed (original table has appx 900,000 rows).

Any help would be much appreciated!

• I'd like to take a crack at this. Can you put your data into an actual text format (not an image) so I can try it out? (It'd be helpful if you can put your data into a table variable that mimics your sample data.)

Just curious -- what is your PIVOT actually giving you? If I'm not mistaken, I don't think you can run a PIVOT without using an aggregate. I messed around with it a while back, and couldn't get it to work without the aggregate. I ended up setting up a "dummy" aggregate to get it to work.

Hopefully someone who knows PIVOT better than me can answer that better.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Please see my original post for code to copy/paste.

I also setup a "dummy" aggregate to see if I could get that to work -- I used min(text) for columnname. However, using that aggregate with the data which I'm presenting produces problems:

1. How to determine min(text) when it is possible for the TEXT of a particular column to contain both Numeric and Alphabetic data?

2. In my example data, for the ID column, we know that 95403 is lower than 123146. However, when doing Min(text), I will get 123146 returned, since the lowest of the first character of the number (1 vs 9) is 1.

These are just a smattering of the issues which I am running into.

• Thanks . . . actually, what I was looking for was this (I'm posting this here for anyone else who wants to try this problem):

declare @school table ([ID] int, ColumnName varchar(15), [Text] varchar(50))

insert into @school values (1, 'ID', '123146')

insert into @school values (2, 'SubjectArea', 'Math')

insert into @school values (3, 'LocalCourseCode', '000A1')

insert into @school values (4, 'SchoolID', '123')

insert into @school values (5, 'Source', 'Hub')

insert into @school values (6, 'CourseTitle', 'Algebra I')

insert into @school values (7, 'ID', '94503')

insert into @school values (8, 'SubjectArea', 'Science')

insert into @school values (9, 'LocalCourseCode', '9037')

insert into @school values (10, 'SchoolID', '46')

insert into @school values (11, 'Source', 'Annex')

insert into @school values (12, 'CourseTitle', 'Biology II')

select * from @school

Just for your future reference -- if you post/present your data like this, you'll probably get faster responses! 🙂 (Basically, help us help you -- the less work you make for everyone, the sooner people will respond!)

I guessed on the field types -- let me know if they look correct!

Let me mess around with this a little bit. If I come up with anything useful, I'll post again!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Hi Justin

This might sound daft, but bear with me...

How do you know that UniqueID 4 is the school for ID 123146, and not UniqueID 10? Or to put it ab

another way, is each block of 6 consecutive UniqueID's destined to become a single row in your output?

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Yes, that is correct. Each block of 6 is destined to become a singular row in the final table.

• Justin James (12/29/2009)

Yes, that is correct. Each block of 6 is destined to become a singular row in the final table.

Is there a missing column which would uniquely identify each block of six rows? Don't worry if there isn't because there's a workaround, but it would help a little.

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• There is not. I was thinking of using ROW_NUMBER(), but was unsure how to partition by each block of 6 rows.

• Ray K (12/29/2009)

Just for your future reference -- if you post/present your data like this, you'll probably get faster responses! 🙂 (Basically, help us help you -- the less work you make for everyone, the sooner people will respond!)

Ray is sooooo right;

once the data is in a consumable format, I jumped at trying my hand at this; if you can, always give us the tables and inserts...

here's my version, and my example results; note the last column is off by one row, and i'm working on that, but this is getting fairly close to the desired results:

the same results:

REC ID SubjectArea LocalCourseCode SchoolID Source CourseTitle

----------- ------------ ---------------- --------- ------- ------------

0 123146 Math 000A1 123 Hub NULL

1 94503 Science 9037 46 Annex Algebra I

2 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL Biology II

the test code

insert into @school values (7, 'ID', '94503')

insert into @school values (8, 'SubjectArea', 'Science')

insert into @school values (9, 'LocalCourseCode', '9037')

insert into @school values (10, 'SchoolID', '46')

insert into @school values (11, 'Source', 'Annex')

insert into @school values (12, 'CourseTitle', 'Biology II')

--select * from @school

SELECT REC,

[1] AS ID,

[2] AS SubjectArea,

[3] AS LocalCourseCode,

[4] AS SchoolID,

[5] AS Source,

[0] AS CourseTitle

FROM (SELECT [ID]/ 6 As REC,[ID]% 6 AS GRP,[Text] from @school) As TheSource

PIVOT

(

min([Text])

FOR

GRP --each value

IN ( [0], [1], [2], [3], [4], [5],[6])

) AS PIVOTALIAS

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

There is not. I was thinking of using ROW_NUMBER(), but was unsure how to partition by each block of 6 rows.

Like this:

;WITH CTE1 AS (

SELECT ((UniqueID-1)/6)+1 AS CourseBlock, [ID], ColumnName, [Text]

FROM YourTable

),

CTE2 AS (

SELECT CourseBlock,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY CourseBlock ORDER BY [ID]) AS CourseElement,

[ID], ColumnName, [Text]

FROM CTE1

)

SELECT * FROM CTE2

Edit: Currently unable to test, eval version expired during vacation

• Thank you for the help Lowell. I'll make sure to include the appropriate SQL in my further posts.

One question I have about your SQL:

select ID/6 as REC, [ID]% 6 as GRP, TEXT from @school

What if the number of rows in each group is odd....say, 7? I tried changing the value to an odd number, and the results were skewed.

• lobbymuncher (12/29/2009)

;WITH CTE1 AS (

SELECT ((UniqueID-1)/6)+1 AS CourseBlock, [ID], ColumnName, [Text]

FROM YourTable

),

CTE2 AS (

SELECT CourseBlock,

ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY CourseBlock ORDER BY [ID]) AS CourseElement,

[ID], ColumnName, [Text]

FROM CTE1

)

SELECT * FROM CTE2

Ummm . . . this is really convoluted (and total overkill, IMHO). Wouldn't it be better to just do this (or something similar):

select cast ([ID]/6 as int) from

Don't yet have an answer to your original question. I'm starting to think that a CTE (rather than a PIVOT) might be the way to go.

Any other suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Thank you for the help Lowell. I'll make sure to include the appropriate SQL in my further posts.

What if the number of rows in each group is odd....say, 7? I tried changing the value to an odd number, and the results were skewed.

I'm assuming that the number of rows is alwasy exactly 6 items...if you have some groups that are 7, and others that are 6, we need a different strategy. The sample data is currently 6 items to a group.

All I'm doing is a different technique to get the same results that lobbymuncher posted.

you said that each group of 6 entries were a record...so i'm using integer division of ID / 6 to get a group for 6 items, and integer modulous to get 6 unique values from ID % 6

any number % 6 will return one of the following values: 1,2,3,4,5 or 0, which is what i was trying to use to group the values.

still not quite the way i had hoped it would work, but it is really close....

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell (12/29/2009)

Justin James (12/29/2009)

Thank you for the help Lowell. I'll make sure to include the appropriate SQL in my further posts.

I'm assuming that the number of rows is alwasy exactly 6 items...if you have some groups that are 7, and others that are 6, we need a different strategy. The sample data is currently 6 items to a group.

All I'm doing is a different technique to get the same results that lobbymuncher posted.

you said that each group of 6 entries were a record...so i'm using integer division of ID / 6 to get a group for 6 items, and integer modulous to get 6 unique values from ID % 6

any number % 6 will return one of the following values: 1,2,3,4,5 or 0, which is what i was trying to use to group the values.

still not quite the way i had hoped it would work, but it is really close....

As I looked through my data further (what I provided was just a subset), I see that the grouping of information change throughout it. :(. However, on the BRIGHT side (!), there is a way to tell when a new group occurs. A new group occurs whenever the value in the TEXT column is [DW].[DimClass].

That being said, here is the new test code:

--Group 1

insert into @school values (0, 'DestinationTableName', '[DW].[DimClass]')

--Group 2

insert into @school values (7, 'DestinationTableName', '[DW].[DimClass]')

insert into @school values (8, 'ID', '94503')

insert into @school values (9, 'SubjectArea', 'Science')

insert into @school values (10, 'LocalCourseCode', '9037')

insert into @school values (12, 'SchoolID', '46')

insert into @school values (12, 'Source', 'Annex')

insert into @school values (13, 'CourseTitle', 'Biology II')

insert into @school values (14, 'TeacherID', '58398')

insert into @school values (15, 'Credits Possible', '1.0')

--Group 3

insert into @school values (16, 'DestinationTableName', '[DW].[DimClass]')

insert into @school values (17, 'ID', '84023')

insert into @school values (18, 'Source', 'Annex')

insert into @school values (19, 'CourseTitle', 'Physics I')

select * from @school

As I looked through my data further (what I provided was just a subset), I see that the grouping of information change throughout it. 🙁

Argh! My model just got blown out of the water!

Also, I got truncation errors when I ran the sample data code. I bumped the varchar(15) up to varchar(25), and that seemed to fix it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply