New to SQL Administration

• I was tasked with learning SQL for Prince William County Schools IT Department so I took 4 SQL Administration Classes and am now being thrown into troubleshooting and tuning the Databases.

The first database I looked into has 132 missing indexes and 2 Broker_Receive_Waitfor errors.  I am able to track down where the troubles reside (broker services that will not connect to 2 different servers & specific tables with foreign keys) but am unsure how to go about fixing them and am hoping to get some guidance.  The broker services (1 service connection for each server) for the two servers do not communicate, they only time out.  However there are approximately 20 other broker services to each of the same 2 servers that are working.  Any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated.

Ron DeFreitas

• Do the tables still exist on the other servers?

• Yes they do.

• The missing indexes are, at best, suggestions. Be very cautious in simply implementing them.

As to the connections, step through it as granular as possible. What login do they use? What user? Are the passwords, if any, correctly configured on the clients? Do they need to be in a particular group? Security is multi-faceted, so you'll need to walk through it a step at a time.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• These problems occurred when the database was backed up and restored to a new server.  The person that did the work is not convinced that he completed it properly because the problems started right after the move.  I am getting thrown into this in an attempt to clean up his mess.

• Ah, a restore won't move the logins. You'll need to script those out on the original server and move them over.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply