New to SQL

• Forgive me if this is a stupid question: I am completely new to databases and SQL in general. (Background is in networking, cisco related). I have some good resources which describe the commands and theory, but was just wondering how to go about practicing sql commands on a home desktop computer? I was thinking of downloading mysql ? or does Microsoft, Oracle have any basic versions which beginners such as myself who do not have access to an enterprise RDBMS, or even a database for that matter can experiment ?

• If you are looking for something that is free you can download SQL Server Express Edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Database/

Although if you are really wanting to learn SQL Server I would suggest purchasing a copy of SQL Server Developer Edition. It has all of the features of Enterprise edition but only costs around $50. It just cannot be used for production purposes.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/Developer.aspx

Regards,

Jason P. Burnett
    Senior DBA

• Look for express edition for SQL Server on Microsoft. It is free to download and since SQL Server is Windows (GUI) based, it would be easier to learn it. You have a lot of resources for free to learn.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I think the previous replies are great suggestions, but I just want to caveat something. If your intent is to practice to learn SQL commands that you can utilize in the workplace, I would suggest against downloading something like mySQL or Postgres. Most SQL vendors deply their own version of the ANSI SQL standard, and what you learn on one version is not always going to translate over to another version.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• I want to thank you all for your replies. I installed SQL Server 2008 Express Edition. @joie: I figured that ill start with one version, since in the market you're going to encounter one of mysql, sql server or oracle....and apparently sql server it is for now.

• Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Buying the Developers Edition is well worth the expenditure. Plus, if you look around, you can find it for usually quite a bit less than the $50 street price.

• Lynn Pettis (2/3/2010)

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Buying the Developers Edition is well worth the expenditure. Plus, if you look around, you can find it for usually quite a bit less than the $50 street price.

How come?

• Lynn Pettis (2/3/2010)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Buying the Developers Edition is well worth the expenditure. Plus, if you look around, you can find it for usually quite a bit less than the $50 street price.

How come?

Well, some vendors can offer deals. Another way to get it cheap (read "free") is if you are a student. If you are, you can download the latest version of SQL Server Developer Edition from the Microsoft DreamSpark site.

Joie Andrew
    "Since 1982"

• Is there a significant difference between the developer edition and SQL express? The book im referring to (SQL 2008 from novice to professional by Robin Dewson) uses the developers edition as a guide.

Also if i installed SQL Express and obtained the developers edition (which im thinking of doing) do i have to uninstall Express before installing the developers edition?

• Yes there is a significant difference between Express Edition and Developer Edition, as Developer Edition would have every feature / option that is available in the Enterprise Edition (except that it is not supported for Production usage). So going for the developer edition would be a wise decision..

If you would like to go for the developer edition it is well and good, and I would suggest uninstall the express edition completely and install developer edition from scratch. Though you can install both of them side by side and it work fine..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• I got my copy of developers edition from dreamspark, burnt the iso image onto a DVD and attempted to install. Before I did that, I uninstalled SQL Server Express, with no problems. However when I attempt to install the developers edition, I get the following error:

Unable to open Windows Installer file 'D:\x64\setup\sql_engine_core_inst_msi\sql_engine_core_inst.msi'.

The system cannot open the device or file specified.

I'm wondering if this error is due to a corrupt iso, or if it's due to the fact that I had SQL server express installed...im wondering if it's worth re-installing vista and starting over. Any input appreciated.

• Have you tried extracting the ISO out to harddisk and then trying the install?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Yes I did extract it to the hard disk. And this is the error it gave me:

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

SQL Server 2008 setup100.exe and setuppatch.exe cannot be run in this mode. If you are running setup100.exe, start setup.exe instead. If you are running setuppatch.exe, run it from the command prompt, as the user interface is not supported for this action. For more information about Setup, see SQL Server Books Online.

Error code 0x84B20001.

I was unable to locate setup.exe.

• It sounds like it might be an iso problem.

Here is a thread of the same issue, it might help:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/48ca1bfa-08d4-48b5-abb6-18682e27dc57

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• To learn about relational databases I think you could do a lot worse than to read this book:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Relational-Databases-Examples-Access/dp/1846283949/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1265794460&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Don't let the "with examples in Access" in the title put you off, the principles described apply to any RDBMS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply