New sql 2016 failover cluster with basic AG

• Hello all,

I have a standalone server with 2016 and with like to make it HA with a second node. Standard edition with basic AG

1. I undertsand setup WFC
    2. What do I do with node 1 installation already completed and live?
    3. What to do with node 2Capture1

Thank you in advance if i am missing something to reconfigure this

JR

• Don't install a SQL Server failover cluster - just a normal SQL Server instance on each Windows cluster node.  Then create your AG, your listeners and so on.  There'll be stuff out there to walk you through the process if you search carefully enough.

John

• For AG's you would setup the Windows cluster, then install SQL separately as individual instances on each server.

You don't need to install SQL as a failover cluster if your using AlwaysOn.

Take a look at Perry's stairway https://www.sqlservercentral.com/stairways/stairway-to-alwayson, but you will want to ignore Level 5 and 7 as your not combining traditional clustering and availability groups which these topics cover.

• thank you for the tips

so just install another standalone on the 2nd node and take it from there then after clustering the windows nodes?

• That's it.  The only aspect of the cluster you need is the Windows parts.  And that is only for automatic failovers.

From SQL's side, every node is a separate standalone instance

• Perfect thank you ! will report back on how it goes

• hello again... it seems that our sysdamin is having some difficulty on the steps to set up this windows cluster

Would there be some detailed steps doc here for Windows 2016 VM ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply