New server harware for SQL Server 2008

• We are about ready to purchase a new server to replace an old box that is still running SQL Server 2000 (yes, 2000 - not even 2005). I have requested the server have Windows Server 2008 64-bit, but what suggested hardware requirements would you have? I know that 2GB of memory is recommended with a 2.0 GHz or faster processor.

But what would be your ideal configuration? The budget for this is open so we would like to get a "beefy" system. The one thing we do know is the server more than likely will be an HP DL 380 G4 or better.

Thanks for the information.

• Ask yourself the following questions:

1. How many DB's will be hosted

2. How many concurrent connections

3. What is the current average IO statistics?

4. What on average is your data growth?

Since you mentioned the budget is open, I'd say go for 8gb RAM minimum, and

at least a 2 x Quad Core CPU configuration.

Plan for the future as well, not only the current needs.

This can be stretched out way beyond 4 questions, so I suggest you do a proper capacity plan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Thanks for the information. And I ask this because we do not "formally" have a DB here. I am the IT Jack-of-all-trades. From programmer, to DB, to general IT support. We are looking at an HP DL 380 G6 right now with dual quad core processors, 2TB HD, 8GB memory (can be upgraded to 128GB).

• And I ask this because we do not "formally" have a DB here

A formal Database or formal Database Administrator?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• LOL! DBA - Administrator...sorry about that.

• Here are couple of things to keep in mind.

1. RAID configuration

2. IO controllers

3. RAM (64 bit- No limit for RAM)

4. Use different drives for the Data files, Log files , TempDB data files and Temp Log files

5. More Spindles the better is what everyone recommends.

There are lots of White papers written on this subject. Maybe you should just take a look at couple of them and decide and plan.

Just my .02 cents

-Roy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply