New 2012 r2 server & SQL 2012 set up

• I'm a novice at best working with servers and SQL so please bare with me as I learn. I've installed Server 2012 r2 on a Dell PowerEdge T320. I believe I have everything needed setup on it but could be wrong. I have installed SQL 2012 on it but am having trouble as it doesn't want to log onto the database engine. Could someone please help me get this up and running the way it's suppose to be. My name is AL and It would be greatly appreciated.

• I think the first step to troubleshooting this is knowing what error you get.  Is it that it doesn't like your username/password or is it a TCP/IP error or a timeout or something else?

Are you connecting from the same machine as the SQL instance or from a remote machine?  I ask this because it could be firewall issues.

Did the services start?  If the services are not running (just the SQL Server service, the browser service is not required but I recommend it, the agent service is not required but is recommended too), you will need to start those up.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Hello Brian and thanks for your help. I started everything using Services.mmc. Though they are all running, I cannot log into the database. I however can log into the Integration Services and can see the server there. I am connecting right on the server as an administrator on it. I tried turning of the firewall to allow everything through with no luck. I have a Cisco router acting as the DHCP. When trying to log into the database I get the error 18456 both ways Windows & Server Authentication. I've attached the error log.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • The error seems to suggest that the login doesn’t exist at the SQL level.

which account performed the installation?

can you login as that account and add in the users you need?

otherwise you would have to do something like this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/connect-to-sql-server-when-system-administrators-are-locked-out?view=sql-server-ver15

ensuring the account your running is a local admin to the operating system.

• Hey, The answer was in the details of which it always is. Using all of you guys info help me to get it working correctly. Set TCP and reset password did the trick. I'm sure as I progress there will be more questions but as for now a great bi thanks to you all.

AL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply