NetBackup vs sql backups

• Wayne West (2/3/2015)

My question would be what do the higher ups think is a good way do to backups? You don't need any extra money spent on additional software to do backups this way. Just make sure your backups can be restored to another database and that you're also properly doing transaction log backups.

I think you hit it on the head: The only "good" backup is one that can be successfully restored within RTOs/RPOs. Personally, I began doing random point-in-time restores from the backups of our critical databases a couple of times a month.

A side effect being that now I have pre-written SQL scripts for the process.

• lshanahan (2/4/2015)

Wayne West (2/3/2015)

My question would be what do the higher ups think is a good way do to backups? You don't need any extra money spent on additional software to do backups this way. Just make sure your backups can be restored to another database and that you're also properly doing transaction log backups.

I think you hit it on the head: The only "good" backup is one that can be successfully restored within RTOs/RPOs. Personally, I began doing random point-in-time restores from the backups of our critical databases a couple of times a month.

A side effect being that now I have pre-written SQL scripts for the process.

Scripts are wonderful things, I have lots that I've developed over the years that I refer to. I once went to the point of having a process that would run checksums against DDL so I could see if anyone made any alterations to my database designs.

I'm a firm believer in what my message signature says. I may not immediately remember how to do something, but there's a good chance that if I don't have a script showing how I did it in the past, I can probably find an example on SSC or elsewhere and apply it quickly.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply